East End councillor sets healthy example
A COUNCILLOR is hoping to encourage East Enders to keep fit by setting a healthy example.
Tower Hamlets council’s health and wellbeing chief Cllr Rachael Saunders says the borough is one of nine designated ‘Healthy Towns’ nationally and the only London borough to receive government funding to promote physical activity and healthy eating in the borough while improving the local environment.
She hopes to encourage residents to try out the range of classes and activities on offer at leisure centres across the borough in a bid to lead healthier lifestyles
She said: “We all know we should be eating five a day and exercising at least three times a week but how many of us actually do that?
“This summer I have decided instead of procrastinating about getting fit I am going to try to do it.
You may also want to watch:
“We are lucky in Tower Hamlets to have a wealth of leisure and sports facilities right on our doorstep. There is something for everyone from swimming, cycling, dancing to walking.”
Over the next few weeks Cllr Saunders will be trying out a different type of exercise in a bid to find the right one for her.
- 1 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
- 2 Two men arrested in connection with Shadwell double stabbing
- 3 Man found with stab injuries in Stepney
- 4 Teenager suffers 'life-changing' injuries after alleged attack in Shadwell
- 5 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
- 6 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
- 7 Man who died in Mile End park named
- 8 Leyton Orient seal first away win of the season at Bristol Rovers
- 9 Travel round-up: Road and rail disruptions this week
- 10 Joe Gallen full of praise for O's forwards in Bristol Rovers victory
First up is a kick aerobics class, variation on high-impact aerobics, incorporating martial-arts style kicking, at Mile End Leisure Centre.
After her first session Cllr Saunders said: “All respect to people who are fit enough to get through a class like that regularly – I’m hoping I can get up to that level of fitness!”