East End experts to lead the way in cancer research
THE East End received a cash boost this week as it became home to one of only two centres for cancer research in London. Experts at Queen Mary, University of London and Barts and The London NHS Trust which runs the Royal London will be leading the way
THE East End received a cash boost this week as it became home to one of only two 'centres' for cancer research in London.
Experts at Queen Mary, University of London and Barts and The London NHS Trust which runs the Royal London will be leading the way in its research into pancreatic, breast, ovarian and prostate cancer as well as leukaemia and lymphoma.
It will be the only network in the country to focus primarily on these specific forms of cancer after receiving �2m from Cancer Research UK and being named a research 'centre'.
Specialists at the `centre', known as Barts Cancer Research UK Centre, will investigate the genes that drive the disease, study more about cancer prevention and public health and uncover the best therapies and treatments.
You may also want to watch:
And experts will be working closely with medics at the Bart's brand new cancer centre due to open in the spring which will house state-of-the-art imaging, radiotherapy and radiosurgery technology.
Professor John Gribben, consultant haematologist and medical oncologist at Barts trust said: "Ultimately this will improve cancer survival and enhance the quality of life for those with long-term disease.
- 1 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 2 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and referendums
- 3 New Providence Wharf fire: Two in hospital and 42 treated at scene
- 4 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
- 5 New Providence Wharf: The four-year fight to remove 'Grenfell cladding'
- 6 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 7 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 8 Street food and farmers' market return to City Island
- 9 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 10 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'