East End fire crews called out 120 times for Guy Fawkes Night
EMERGENCY fire crews were called out 120 times in London’s East End last night dealing with bonfires out of control in just four hours. Guy Fawkes Night proved one of the busiest evenings of the year
EMERGENCY fire crews were called out 120 times in London’s East End last night dealing with bonfires out of control in just four hours.
Guy Fawkes Night proved one of the busiest evenings of the year for the six fire-stations in Tower Hamlets, although quieter than previous years.
Busiest was Poplar which had 43 calls between 6pm and 12.45 this morning. The night was marred by two incidents when youths hurled fireworks at firefighters arriving at the Robin Hood Gardens and the Locksley housing estates. But there were no injuries.
Bow fire-station had 15 callouts in what one officer described as “a mad rush” between 6 and 10pm. They included youths firing rockets at Linton House, a block of flats in St Paul's Way, Mile End. One rocket hit the fire-engine, but no-one was hurt.
You may also want to watch:
Shadwell fire-station answered 14 calls with the worst incident being youths hurling fireworks at Hatton House off Cable Street.
Another 40 emergencies were tackled by Bethnal Green, Millwall and Whitechapel fire stations between them.
- 1 'Stop building more towers,' MP at protest after New Providence Wharf fire
- 2 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 3 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
- 4 Leyton Orient have announced their retained list as they begin rebuild
- 5 Tower Hamlets votes to keep directly-elected mayoral post
- 6 'Halt to development draining services' after win for neighbourhood plan
- 7 MP's fury at four-year delay removing Grenfell-type cladding from block
- 8 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 9 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 10 Unmesh Desai on his priorities after winning City and East election