East End firefighter Martin ready for London Marathon battle
FIREFIGHTER Martin Taylor has just gone off duty today to get ready for Sunday’s gruelling London Marathon. The 39-year-old stationed at Whitechapel, in London’s East End, is in training for his fifth race and hopes to do it this time under 3hrs
FIREFIGHTER Martin Taylor has just gone off duty today to get ready for Sunday's gruelling London Marathon.
The 39-year-old stationed at Whitechapel, in London's East End, is in training for his fifth race and hopes to do it this time in less than three hours.
"The first time it took me nearly five hours when I ran eight years ago," he explained. "But I've been getting faster each time. I want to beat my own personal record in 2007 of 3hrs 54mins."
Martin, who joined the fire brigade 13 years ago, is running for his local Larkfield athletics club in Maidstone, Kent, where he lives. In past years he has raised funds for a charity for terminally ill children and for the Meningitis Trust.
You may also want to watch:
He runs 75 miles a week in training and is being cheered on for Sunday's marathon by his Whitechapel crewmates who plan to turn up along the route through the East End.
- 1 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 5 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 10 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests