East End firefighter Martin ready for London Marathon battle
FIREFIGHTER Martin Taylor has just gone off duty today to get ready for Sunday’s gruelling London Marathon. The 39-year-old stationed at Whitechapel, in London’s East End, is in training for his fifth race and hopes to do it this time under 3hrs
FIREFIGHTER Martin Taylor has just gone off duty today to get ready for Sunday's gruelling London Marathon.
The 39-year-old stationed at Whitechapel, in London's East End, is in training for his fifth race and hopes to do it this time in less than three hours.
"The first time it took me nearly five hours when I ran eight years ago," he explained. "But I've been getting faster each time. I want to beat my own personal record in 2007 of 3hrs 54mins."
Martin, who joined the fire brigade 13 years ago, is running for his local Larkfield athletics club in Maidstone, Kent, where he lives. In past years he has raised funds for a charity for terminally ill children and for the Meningitis Trust.
You may also want to watch:
He runs 75 miles a week in training and is being cheered on for Sunday's marathon by his Whitechapel crewmates who plan to turn up along the route through the East End.
- 1 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 2 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Man arrested following triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs
- 4 Green light for £1m in levies to be used for East End fire rescue ladder
- 5 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 6 Bethnal Green rubbish 'attracts rats' as 'pingdemic' delays collections
- 7 Remembrance to Bethnal Green's ‘perfect storm’ fire tragedy 17 years on
- 8 'Laughing gas central': Call for action on antisocial behaviour
- 9 Trial of Poplar and Limehouse MP opens on 'housing fraud' charges
- 10 No arrests after triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs