East End hots up for world’s biggest coffee morning
PUBLIC libraries in East London are taking part in the World’s biggest coffee morning’ today. They are joining organisations up and down the country raising money for cancer charities
PUBLIC libraries in East London are taking part in the World's 'biggest coffee morning' today.
They are joining organisations up and down the country raising money for cancer charities.
Staff at the Ideas Store centre at Poplar's Chrisp Street Market decided not to charge for tea or coffee like other centres taking part.
"This is a poor district and people don't have much money," said one staff member.
You may also want to watch:
"So we want to make it a community get-together where anyone can just drop in.
"No money being charged for tea, coffee or biscuits-but donations are being accepted. We still want to raise cash for cancer research."
- 1 Tower Hamlets votes to keep directly-elected mayoral post
- 2 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and referendums
- 3 Early front-runners for Leyton Orient managerial vacancy
- 4 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 5 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 6 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
- 7 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 8 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 9 Leyton Orient searching for a new manager as they bid farewell to McAnuff
- 10 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
One of those popping in for a cuppa and a chat at 10am is the Mayor of Tower Hamlets, Ahmed Omer. He meets representatives of St Joseph's Hospice in Hackney, Cancer Awareness charity and the MacMillan Trust.
Raffle prize have been donated by local supermarket.
Nearby Bethnal Green Library in Cambridge Heath Road is also taking part in the marathon coffee morning, but is making a small charge for tea and coffee. Raffle prize have been donated by Bethnal Green businesses which include a Nando's meal platter and a breakfast at Nicos' Caf�.