East End hots up for world’s biggest coffee morning
PUBLIC libraries in East London are taking part in the World’s biggest coffee morning’ today. They are joining organisations up and down the country raising money for cancer charities
PUBLIC libraries in East London are taking part in the World's 'biggest coffee morning' today.
They are joining organisations up and down the country raising money for cancer charities.
Staff at the Ideas Store centre at Poplar's Chrisp Street Market decided not to charge for tea or coffee like other centres taking part.
"This is a poor district and people don't have much money," said one staff member.
You may also want to watch:
"So we want to make it a community get-together where anyone can just drop in.
"No money being charged for tea, coffee or biscuits-but donations are being accepted. We still want to raise cash for cancer research."
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 3 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 4 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 5 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 6 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 7 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 8 Leyton Orient announce partnership with Hartford Athletic
- 9 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 10 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
One of those popping in for a cuppa and a chat at 10am is the Mayor of Tower Hamlets, Ahmed Omer. He meets representatives of St Joseph's Hospice in Hackney, Cancer Awareness charity and the MacMillan Trust.
Raffle prize have been donated by local supermarket.
Nearby Bethnal Green Library in Cambridge Heath Road is also taking part in the marathon coffee morning, but is making a small charge for tea and coffee. Raffle prize have been donated by Bethnal Green businesses which include a Nando's meal platter and a breakfast at Nicos' Caf�.