East End kids help Global Action Plan with old books to recycle
EVEN kids get involved in Big Swap’ to help the environment with more recycling. The Global Action Plan charity ran a Big Swap’ get-together in London’s East End where mums and dads were invited to bring the bits and bobs they no longer need and exchange them for anything they take a fancy to
EVEN kids get involved in Big Swap’ to help the environment with more recycling.
The Global Action Plan environment charity ran a Big Swap’ get-together in London’s East End yesterday where mums and dads were invited to bring the bits and bobs they no longer need and exchange them for anything they take a fancy to.
Little Saiid Khensous, 11, and big sister Imani, 12 (pictured), brought in some of the old books they’ve read and decided to recycle them rather than have them ending up in the dustbin.
Then the two young bookworms sorted through books other people had brought in to see if there was anything they hadn’t devoured yet.
But there was a serious message. Charity boss Trewin Restorick said: “Britain sent 24 million tonnes of waste to landfill dumps last year. A large proportion had recycling value that wasn’t recognised.”
You may also want to watch:
Exchange’ stalls were also set out for electrical goods, clothes, fashion, books, DVDs and bric-a-brac at the Big Swap’ held at the Central Foundation Girls’ School in Bow.
For youngsters like Saiid and Imani, learning about a more sustainable’ lifestyle is more an investment’ in their future.
- 1 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 2 Queen's Birthday Honours: Caterer who gave out free meals gets BEM
- 3 Docklands man pleaded guilty to firearms offences
- 4 Crossharbour scheme for 2,000 new homes on Isle of Dogs is halted
- 5 Man 'brandishes gun' in busy Canary Wharf restaurant
- 6 Working classes 'being pushed out by East End's gentrification'
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Driver threatened at gunpoint in Bromley-by-Bow carjacking
- 9 Plans mooted to change East End MP constituency boundaries
- 10 Police search park in Poplar after report of stabbing