East End mayor joins twitterati
The new mayor of Tower Hamlets has embraced social networking by joining the twitterati.
Lutfur Rahman who is the first directly elected mayor of Tower Hamlets described himself as “a community activist” and a “social democrat”.
He has just joined twitter as @MayorLutfur and is following fellow directly elected mayor Lewisham’s Sir Steve Bullock who was first elected to his job in 2002.
Mr Rahman faces some tough times ahead as Tower Hamlets council has to make difficult decisions at it trims its budget and sheds an estimated 500 jobs in a round of cuts in the new year. Forty per cent
Lawyer Mr Rahman who previously represented Spitalfields and Banglatown on the council won the �65,000 a year job with 23,283 votes.
You may also want to watch:
His first tweet which has to be 140 characters or less reads: “Snow receding, ice melting but work continuing ... all the excitement is in Tower Hamlets!”
- 1 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 4 Go-ahead given for 315 more homes in third stage of Blackwall Reach scheme
- 5 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 6 'Grief and queer coming of age' theatre show to be put on for London Horror Festival
- 7 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 8 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 9 Why TfL won't restart the night tube on Jubilee line just yet
- 10 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week