East End medics’ head for frozen Husky Trail—for Sick Children’s Trust
Children’s nurses, doctors and a physio at the Royal London are taking time off next year to trek the 200-mile ‘Husky Trail’ across the Arctic.
Six medics at the hospital’s Paediatric Critical Care unit plan to cross from Norway into Sweden through untouched nature next year.
But before then, Fiona March, Hannah Gil, Jo Woodcraft, Rosel Tallah, Christa Ronan and Cat Jones (pictured) are getting in practice with Britain’s famous ‘Three Peaks’ challenge.
They heard about the extension opened last month to the Sick Children’s Trust’s Stevenson House in Whitechapel, where parents stay over while their kids are in hospital.
“We have first hand experience of support the trust gives families,” Fiona explained. “So we know what a great cause it is.”
You may also want to watch:
The six also plan cake sales, pub quizzes, half-marathons and a ‘Paediatric Christmas ball.’
But the first challenge is the ‘Three Peaks’ where they have to climb Scarfell Pike, Snowdon and Ben Nevis in 24 hours. That’s set for September 23.
- 1 Trial date set for MP Apsana Begum charged with 'housing fraud'
- 2 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 3 Plans mooted to change East End MP constituency boundaries
- 4 Docklands man pleads guilty to firearms offences
- 5 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- 6 Friends of John Pierce compiling 'book of memories' for his family
- 7 Police renew appeal over disappearance of man last seen in Poplar
- 8 Man 'brandishes gun' in busy Canary Wharf restaurant
- 9 Photography celebrating Roman Road displayed in high street windows
- 10 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
“It’s a good test of our stamina for the Husky Trail next year,” added Fiona. “But we’re up to it.”
The Husky challenge will raise �24,000, with �16,000 going to the Children’s trust and �8,000 to Barts & The London Charity.
Wellwishers can go online for donations to the Three Peaks challenge on:
…or the Husky Trail on: http://www.justgiving.com/teams/huskychallenge2012