East End medics’ head for frozen Husky Trail—for Sick Children’s Trust
Children’s nurses, doctors and a physio at the Royal London are taking time off next year to trek the 200-mile ‘Husky Trail’ across the Arctic.
Six medics at the hospital’s Paediatric Critical Care unit plan to cross from Norway into Sweden through untouched nature next year.
But before then, Fiona March, Hannah Gil, Jo Woodcraft, Rosel Tallah, Christa Ronan and Cat Jones (pictured) are getting in practice with Britain’s famous ‘Three Peaks’ challenge.
They heard about the extension opened last month to the Sick Children’s Trust’s Stevenson House in Whitechapel, where parents stay over while their kids are in hospital.
“We have first hand experience of support the trust gives families,” Fiona explained. “So we know what a great cause it is.”
You may also want to watch:
The six also plan cake sales, pub quizzes, half-marathons and a ‘Paediatric Christmas ball.’
But the first challenge is the ‘Three Peaks’ where they have to climb Scarfell Pike, Snowdon and Ben Nevis in 24 hours. That’s set for September 23.
- 1 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 2 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 5 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 6 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 7 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 9 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 10 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
“It’s a good test of our stamina for the Husky Trail next year,” added Fiona. “But we’re up to it.”
The Husky challenge will raise �24,000, with �16,000 going to the Children’s trust and �8,000 to Barts & The London Charity.
Wellwishers can go online for donations to the Three Peaks challenge on:
…or the Husky Trail on: http://www.justgiving.com/teams/huskychallenge2012