East End MP lobbies against fuel VAT rise
AN East End MP is lobbying the government to scrap its VAT rise on fuel.
Jim Fitzpatrick, Labour MP for Poplar and Limehouse, said the rise in the tax to 20 per cent has hit East End families hard.
Across London, the cost of a litre of unleaded petrol in February was �1.29 – up almost seven per cent compared to December, the AA fuel price report shows.
Mr Fitzpatrick said: “It’s time the Chancellor George Osborne took immediate action on fuel prices to ease the pressure on families who are already facing a tough year and their incomes squeezed.”
According to figures from the independent House of Commons library, the rise will net �700m for the Treasury.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Fitzpatrick joins a hardcore of Labour MPs who want the tax reversed, arguing it comes at the wrong time.
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 4 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 5 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 6 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 7 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 8 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 9 Leyton Orient announce partnership with Hartford Athletic
- 10 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto