East End MP Rushanara Ali makes maiden speech
THE NEW MP for Bethnal Green and Bow has made her maiden speech in the House of Commons. Labour s Rushanara Ali spoke in a debate about the economy and jobs. It is parliamentary convention that MPs cannot join in debates until they have made their maide
THE NEW MP for Bethnal Green and Bow has made her maiden speech in the House of Commons.
Labour's Rushanara Ali spoke in a debate about the economy and jobs.
It is parliamentary convention that MPs cannot join in debates until they have made their maiden or first speech.
Convention also requires that new MPs pay tribute to their predecessors and Ms Ali spoke about the "inimitable" Respect's George Galloway.
You may also want to watch:
She said: "His great oratory was admired by many even when they passionately disagreed with him."
But she said she agreed with him over calls for peace in the Middle East and an end to the blockade of Gaza.
- 1 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 2 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 3 Police patrols to increase after fatal Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 4 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 5 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 6 Authorities urged to act against 'terrifying' Isle of Dogs car races
- 7 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
- 8 Two men arrested in connection with Shadwell double stabbing
- 9 Man who died in Mile End park named
- 10 Man found with stab injuries in Stepney
She also spoke about Oona King who had also represented the seat and Stepney politician Peter Shore who had defended democracy during the Bangladeshi struggle for independence in 1971.
And she said she had witnessed the impact of recession on the East End in the 80s and 90s with the area already suffering "incredibly high" levels of unemployment.
"The East End has been in that situation too many times before and for us wasted talent is never a price worth paying."
The full speech is available on http://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/?id=2010-06-08a.183.2&s=speaker%3A24958#g229.0