East End MP Rushanara Ali makes maiden speech
THE NEW MP for Bethnal Green and Bow has made her maiden speech in the House of Commons. Labour s Rushanara Ali spoke in a debate about the economy and jobs. It is parliamentary convention that MPs cannot join in debates until they have made their maide
THE NEW MP for Bethnal Green and Bow has made her maiden speech in the House of Commons.
Labour's Rushanara Ali spoke in a debate about the economy and jobs.
It is parliamentary convention that MPs cannot join in debates until they have made their maiden or first speech.
Convention also requires that new MPs pay tribute to their predecessors and Ms Ali spoke about the "inimitable" Respect's George Galloway.
You may also want to watch:
She said: "His great oratory was admired by many even when they passionately disagreed with him."
But she said she agreed with him over calls for peace in the Middle East and an end to the blockade of Gaza.
- 1 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and referendums
- 2 Tower Hamlets votes to keep directly-elected mayoral post
- 3 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 4 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
- 5 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 6 Early front-runners for Leyton Orient managerial vacancy
- 7 New Providence Wharf fire: Two in hospital and 42 treated at scene
- 8 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 9 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 10 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
She also spoke about Oona King who had also represented the seat and Stepney politician Peter Shore who had defended democracy during the Bangladeshi struggle for independence in 1971.
And she said she had witnessed the impact of recession on the East End in the 80s and 90s with the area already suffering "incredibly high" levels of unemployment.
"The East End has been in that situation too many times before and for us wasted talent is never a price worth paying."
The full speech is available on http://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/?id=2010-06-08a.183.2&s=speaker%3A24958#g229.0