East End MPs back Oona King's London mayoral campaign
FORMER EAST End MP Oona King has won backing from 11 Labour MPs in her bid to run as the party s candidate for London mayor. Poplar and Limehouse MP Jim Fitzpatrick is chairing her campaign. The Mile End resident has also won the backing of the current B
FORMER EAST End MP Oona King has won backing from 11 Labour MPs in her bid to run as the party's candidate for London mayor.
Poplar and Limehouse MP Jim Fitzpatrick is chairing her campaign.
The Mile End resident has also won the backing of the current Bethnal Green and Bow MP Rushanara Ali who used to work in Oona's Westminster office when she represented the seat.
Mr Fitzpatrick said: "Today, along with many of our MP colleagues from London, we will announce our endorsement and support of Oona King to be Labour's candidate for the 2012 Mayoral elections.
You may also want to watch:
"Like me they are convinced that her offer to London would represent a future where our prosperity and our incredible culture is shared and enjoyed by all; a less stressful place to live and work; and a city where in tough times communities are empowered to come together rather than drift apart.
- 1 Tower Hamlets youth worker on lack of funding for vital services
- 2 Unmesh Desai: 'Councillor's sudden death leaves huge void'
- 3 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 4 Jailed: Bethnal Green man who tried to buy hand grenade to use on police
- 5 Trial date set for MP Apsana Begum charged with 'housing fraud'
- 6 Potential strike action could hit Tower Hamlets Council services
- 7 Friends of John Pierce compiling 'book of memories' for his family
- 8 Police bid to trace man in connection with Tube station sex assault
- 9 Rabina Khan: What we must do five years on from Brexit referendum
- 10 Met launches summer operation as teen killings surge