East End newsagent’s licence revoked—for selling dodgy tobacco
A NEWSAGENT’S has had its licence revoked in London’s East End for selling dodgy cigarettes and serving booze to undercover officers out-of-hours. Smuggled tobacco was seized at the corner shop in Commercial Road, the Tower Hamlets licensing committee heard
A NEWSAGENT'S has had its licence revoked in London's East End for selling dodgy cigarettes and serving booze to undercover officers out-of-hours.
Trading Standard officers seized smuggled tobacco at the Commercial Confectionary corner store in Stepney's Commercial Road, members of Tower Hamlets licensing committee heard.
The officers also raised concerns about out-of-hours alcohol sales which were made to licensing officers posing as members of the public.
The licensee had received numerous warnings and had even accepted a simple caution for offences over a lengthy period of time.
You may also want to watch:
The committee considered imposing conditions to alleviate the concerns they had about the numerous breaches of licensing and other legislation, but were not confident the conditions would resolve the issues. So its license was revoked, the authority announced last night.
Government guidelines to local authorities advise that where licensed premises are found dealing in smuggled tobacco, "serious consideration" should be given to revoking the licence.
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Ice cream parlour with 'no added sugar' to open in Canary Wharf
- 4 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears
- 5 Leyton Orient boss Jackett full of praise for Sotiriou after Magpies win
- 6 Fire Brigade deluged with calls for help as floods sweep east London
- 7 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 8 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 9 'Set deadline to remove cladding,' Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 10 Man arrested following triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs