East End park gets �500,000 make over
WORK has begun to give a popular East End park a �500,000 spruce up for spring. Last week workmen ripped out shrub beds inside Bethnal Green Gardens along Cambridge Heath Road.
WORK has begun to give a popular East End park a �500,000 spruce up for spring.
Last week workmen ripped out shrub beds inside Bethnal Green Gardens along Cambridge Heath Road, and work to rejuvenate soil and plant fresh flowers inside the park is planned. Lack of water last summer meant newly planted shrubs died.
Tower Hamlets council asked residents how they wanted the �500,000 budget for the late Victorian park to be spent, as part of its �2 million programme to improve 10 parks in the boroughs.
Inside Bethnal Green Gardens designer Deirdre Munro will work on a new children's play area and the introduction of more habitats for wildlife, including logs.
You may also want to watch:
The park also boasts a tennis court and football and netball pitch. The hard-surface sports area will be repaved and new markings and goals will be provided.
There will be extra seats and the area around the war memorial will be improved.
- 1 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 2 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 3 'Utterly horrific': Tower Hamlets MPs react to Sir David Amess stabbing
- 4 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
- 5 £18,000 awarded to Bethnal Green church to bring loo up to scratch
- 6 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 7 Lock-up garage space in Spitalfields used for social housing
- 8 Man, 19, charged after alleged sexual assaults in Tower Hamlets
- 9 Volunteers thanked for running East End food bank for 70 weeks
- 10 Police called as furious families told to quit Bow's 'dangerous' block
Other parks up for a make-over are Allen Gardens, Stepney Green Gardens, Wapping Gardens, Tredegar Square, Centrell Road Open Space, Poplar Park, St John's Park, Millwall Park and Meath Gardens. Funding is also going toward the implementation of the Victoria Park master plan.