East End park gets �500,000 make over
WORK has begun to give a popular East End park a �500,000 spruce up for spring. Last week workmen ripped out shrub beds inside Bethnal Green Gardens along Cambridge Heath Road.
WORK has begun to give a popular East End park a �500,000 spruce up for spring.
Last week workmen ripped out shrub beds inside Bethnal Green Gardens along Cambridge Heath Road, and work to rejuvenate soil and plant fresh flowers inside the park is planned. Lack of water last summer meant newly planted shrubs died.
Tower Hamlets council asked residents how they wanted the �500,000 budget for the late Victorian park to be spent, as part of its �2 million programme to improve 10 parks in the boroughs.
Inside Bethnal Green Gardens designer Deirdre Munro will work on a new children's play area and the introduction of more habitats for wildlife, including logs.
You may also want to watch:
The park also boasts a tennis court and football and netball pitch. The hard-surface sports area will be repaved and new markings and goals will be provided.
There will be extra seats and the area around the war memorial will be improved.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 5 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 6 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 9 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 10 Pressure on government to provide laptops for lockdown learning
Other parks up for a make-over are Allen Gardens, Stepney Green Gardens, Wapping Gardens, Tredegar Square, Centrell Road Open Space, Poplar Park, St John's Park, Millwall Park and Meath Gardens. Funding is also going toward the implementation of the Victoria Park master plan.