East End park gets �500,000 make over
WORK has begun to give a popular East End park a �500,000 spruce up for spring. Last week workmen ripped out shrub beds inside Bethnal Green Gardens along Cambridge Heath Road.
WORK has begun to give a popular East End park a �500,000 spruce up for spring.
Last week workmen ripped out shrub beds inside Bethnal Green Gardens along Cambridge Heath Road, and work to rejuvenate soil and plant fresh flowers inside the park is planned. Lack of water last summer meant newly planted shrubs died.
Tower Hamlets council asked residents how they wanted the �500,000 budget for the late Victorian park to be spent, as part of its �2 million programme to improve 10 parks in the boroughs.
Inside Bethnal Green Gardens designer Deirdre Munro will work on a new children's play area and the introduction of more habitats for wildlife, including logs.
You may also want to watch:
The park also boasts a tennis court and football and netball pitch. The hard-surface sports area will be repaved and new markings and goals will be provided.
There will be extra seats and the area around the war memorial will be improved.
- 1 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 2 Queen's Birthday Honours: Caterer who gave out free meals gets BEM
- 3 Docklands man pleaded guilty to firearms offences
- 4 Man 'brandishes gun' in busy Canary Wharf restaurant
- 5 Working classes 'being pushed out by East End's gentrification'
- 6 Driver threatened at gunpoint in Bromley-by-Bow carjacking
- 7 Crossharbour scheme for 2,000 new homes on Isle of Dogs is halted
- 8 Plans mooted to change East End MP constituency boundaries
- 9 Police search park in Poplar after report of stabbing
- 10 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
Other parks up for a make-over are Allen Gardens, Stepney Green Gardens, Wapping Gardens, Tredegar Square, Centrell Road Open Space, Poplar Park, St John's Park, Millwall Park and Meath Gardens. Funding is also going toward the implementation of the Victoria Park master plan.