East End park gets �500,000 make over
WORK has begun to give a popular East End park a �500,000 spruce up for spring. Last week workmen ripped out shrub beds inside Bethnal Green Gardens along Cambridge Heath Road.
WORK has begun to give a popular East End park a �500,000 spruce up for spring.
Last week workmen ripped out shrub beds inside Bethnal Green Gardens along Cambridge Heath Road, and work to rejuvenate soil and plant fresh flowers inside the park is planned. Lack of water last summer meant newly planted shrubs died.
Tower Hamlets council asked residents how they wanted the �500,000 budget for the late Victorian park to be spent, as part of its �2 million programme to improve 10 parks in the boroughs.
Inside Bethnal Green Gardens designer Deirdre Munro will work on a new children's play area and the introduction of more habitats for wildlife, including logs.
The park also boasts a tennis court and football and netball pitch. The hard-surface sports area will be repaved and new markings and goals will be provided.
There will be extra seats and the area around the war memorial will be improved.
- 1 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 2 Jailed: Rapist who repeatedly attacked woman in her own home
- 3 Patients with Covid in east London hospitals fall after rising for weeks
- 4 Almost 3,000 Barts Health hospital staff yet to have Covid jab, figures show
- 5 One per cent council tax rise planned with borough set for balanced budget
- 6 How many alcohol-related fires were there in your borough last year?
- 7 Burial and cremation fees rise at City of London Cemetery and Crematorium
- 8 ‘Manhattanisation’ of Isle of Dogs concerns residents
- 9 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
- 10 More headliners announced for We Are FSTVL 2022
Other parks up for a make-over are Allen Gardens, Stepney Green Gardens, Wapping Gardens, Tredegar Square, Centrell Road Open Space, Poplar Park, St John's Park, Millwall Park and Meath Gardens. Funding is also going toward the implementation of the Victoria Park master plan.