East End patients receive smear test results in record time
WOMEN being tested for cervical cancer in the East End are receiving their results in record time, according to the latest figures. Patients turning up at the Royal London Hospital and GP surgeries across Tower Hamlets for smear tests are finding out th
WOMEN being tested for cervical cancer in the East End are receiving their results in record time, according to the latest figures.
Patients turning up at the Royal London Hospital and GP surgeries across Tower Hamlets for smear tests are finding out their results within two weeks.
Barts and the London Trust which runs the hospital in Whitechapel and St Bartholomew's together with NHS Tower Hamlets and Newham Primary Care Trust were one of ten NHS `sites' in the country to join a national trial.
The trial was aimed at cutting the time it takes to process smear test results by 2010.
Barts trust on its own processes an average 5000 tests a month but the whole team triumphed in getting 100 per cent of cervical screening results back to patients within a fortnight.
And 91 per cent of the results even reached patients in just a week.
- 1 Work begins on £300m Chrisp Street Market redevelopment
- 2 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 3 Council houses named after Matchgirls Strike leader
- 4 Liveable Streets: Councillors remove some Brick Lane closures after 'backlash'
- 5 Traffic slow moving in Limehouse and Poplar due to burst water main
- 6 Housing association apologises after sewage leaks at Isle of Dogs tower blocks
- 7 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 8 Single van racks up £36k of fines in Tower Hamlets
- 9 Plans to cut up to 600 Tube station jobs amid TfL 'funding crisis'
- 10 County lines drug dealer jailed
The trust says using first-class post, posting results back to GPs on a daily rather than a twice-weekly basis, producing printed, rather than handwritten, labelling to avoid samples being lost and more staff training has helped speed up the process.