East End patients receive smear test results in record time
WOMEN being tested for cervical cancer in the East End are receiving their results in record time, according to the latest figures. Patients turning up at the Royal London Hospital and GP surgeries across Tower Hamlets for smear tests are finding out th
WOMEN being tested for cervical cancer in the East End are receiving their results in record time, according to the latest figures.
Patients turning up at the Royal London Hospital and GP surgeries across Tower Hamlets for smear tests are finding out their results within two weeks.
Barts and the London Trust which runs the hospital in Whitechapel and St Bartholomew's together with NHS Tower Hamlets and Newham Primary Care Trust were one of ten NHS `sites' in the country to join a national trial.
The trial was aimed at cutting the time it takes to process smear test results by 2010.
You may also want to watch:
Barts trust on its own processes an average 5000 tests a month but the whole team triumphed in getting 100 per cent of cervical screening results back to patients within a fortnight.
And 91 per cent of the results even reached patients in just a week.
- 1 Man stabbed outside West India Quay DLR station
- 2 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 3 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 4 Campaigners taking on town hall to keep Isle of Dogs youth club open
- 5 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 6 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 7 Eggslut food truck to bring 'edible breakfast cloud' to Shoreditch
- 8 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 9 Campaigners oppose plans to change voting system for Tower Hamlets mayor
- 10 Tower Hamlets stages Covid jab festival
The trust says using first-class post, posting results back to GPs on a daily rather than a twice-weekly basis, producing printed, rather than handwritten, labelling to avoid samples being lost and more staff training has helped speed up the process.