East End physics researchers among top boffins in the world
THE Physics department at East London’s Queen Mary college is in the world’s top 80 research centres in its field, according to latest international academic ratings. It is ranked 78th on the planet and eighth best in Britain
THE Physics department at East London's Queen Mary college is in the world's top 80 research centres in its field, according to the latest international academic ratings.
It is ranked 78th on the planet and eighth best in Britain on the influential list.
The College overall also ranks 59th in Europe and 152nd top university in the world, placing it in the top 10 per cent of higher education institutions around the globe.
Professor William Spence, Head of Physics at the campus in Mile End, was over the moon.
You may also want to watch:
"Our research is in the most fundamental and fast-moving areas," he said. "Our students are satisfied with their degrees and their job prospects."
The accolade comes from Shanghai's Jiaotong University which evaluates 2,000 campuses worldwide and compiles the top 500 in the Academic Ranking of World Universities as well as the top 100 in individual subjects like Queen Mary's physics department.
The Chinese university's list is based on a combined scale of academic criteria including awards won by alumni and staff such as Nobel prizes, articles published in leading scientific journals and the number of highly-cited researchers.
- 1 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 2 Leyton Orient boss Jackett full of praise for Sotiriou after Magpies win
- 3 Ice cream parlour with 'no added sugar' to open in Canary Wharf
- 4 Fire Brigade deluged with calls for help as floods sweep east London
- 5 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 6 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 7 Community patrols to stamp out Poplar's street crime
- 8 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears
- 9 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 10 Poplar and Limehouse MP's trial on housing fraud charges set to start
Queen Mary's physics department was rated higher than the renowned London School of Economics and, ironically, the Shanghai Jiaotong University itself.