East End residents to pilot ambulance volunteer lifesavers scheme
The London Ambulance Service is looking for volunteer lifesavers for an emergency calls project being piloted in the East End.
In the first scheme of its kind in the capital, residents on Poplar’s Aberfeldy Estate, will be given a chance to make a difference in their neighbourhood by responding on foot alongside ambulance staff to patients with life-threatening conditions.
LAS community resuscitation training officer Claire Adams said: “When someone’s heart stops beating, every second counts in getting essential and basic life support to that patient.
“Our ambulances reach more Tower Hamlets patients in a life-threatening condition in less than eight minutes than ever before, but if someone living on the Aberfeldy Estate has the basic skills and equipment, and is dispatched at the same time as our staff, they could often reach the patient even faster, giving them a much greater chance of survival.”
Successful volunteers on the estate, run by housing association Poplar Harca, will be trained to use a defibrillator – a machine that restarts a patient’s heart by delivering an electric shock. These defibrillators are already used in London by staff and the public at train stations, tourist attractions and shopping centres to save lives while an ambulance is on the way.
You may also want to watch:
Poplar HARCA communities and neighbourhood coordinator, Jeanie Harrison, said: “We hope to give residents in other estates the chance to take part in similar initiatives in the future.”
An open evening will be held at the Aberfeldy Centre on Aberfeldy Street next Thursday, July 14 starting at 7pm for people to come along and find out more.
- 1 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 2 Brigade issues fire safety warning after Limehouse studio blaze
- 3 Khalid Ali couldn't hide delight after winning start against Dean Wilkinson
- 4 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 5 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 6 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 7 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
- 8 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 9 Three places to go pumpkin picking near east London
- 10 Road and rail round-up: Steer clear of these disruptions next week