East End's boxers get �50,000 grant to record their history
EAST End boxing has been given a �50,000 boost with a grant to help tell the story of the sport from 1891 to 1990. Boxers from clubs in London s East End have clinched an array of British, Olympic and world titles and the story of their efforts has also
BOXING gets a �50,000 boost in London’s East End with a grant to help tell the 100-year story of the Fight Game from 1890 to 1990.
Boxers have clinched an array of British, Olympic and world titles and the story of their efforts has also been one of social integration.
Cash from the Heritage Lottery Fund is paying for the London Ex-Boxers’ Club to put together an online archive of photographs, programmes and other boxing memorabilia.
It will feature venues including Bethnal Green’s famous York Hall, recording the 15 former boxers or people closely associated with the sport, including Manor Park’s Ronnie Cooper, who boxed for Britain at the 1948 London Olympics at Wembley, Terry Spinks from Canning Town who won a Gold for Britain at the 1956 Rome Olympics, and Sammy McCarthy from Stepney who is a former British Featherweight champion.
You may also want to watch:
Eastside Community Heritage is helping the research. An exhibition of pictures and other archive material is also planned at the Hackney Museum.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 10 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week