East End schools get Minister’s praise for healthy lifestyle
SCHOOLS are reaping the rewards of a drive to curb obesity among children in East London. Government Minister Jim Fitzpatrick, whose East London constituency includes a large swathe of the East End, dished out awards to 25 primaries and secondaries schools which achieved Healthy Schools’ status
By Johnny McDevitt
SCHOOLS are reaping the rewards of a drive to curb obesity among children in East London.
Government Minister Jim Fitzpatrick, whose East London constituency includes a large swathe of the East End, dished out awards to 25 primary and secondary schools in Tower Hamlets which achieved national 'Healthy Schools' status.
This recognises high standards in healthy eating, physical activity and well-being.
You may also want to watch:
"Gaining healthy schools status is a real achievement in any area," said the Polar & Canning Town MP.
"But in Tower Hamlets with the challenges we all have, it is an enormous achievement."
- 1 Trial date set for MP Apsana Begum charged with 'housing fraud'
- 2 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 3 Plans mooted to change East End MP constituency boundaries
- 4 Docklands man pleads guilty to firearms offences
- 5 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- 6 Friends of John Pierce compiling 'book of memories' for his family
- 7 Police renew appeal over disappearance of man last seen in Poplar
- 8 Man 'brandishes gun' in busy Canary Wharf restaurant
- 9 Photography celebrating Roman Road displayed in high street windows
- 10 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
Primary schools getting awards were Arnhem Wharf, Blue Gate Fields, Canon Barnett, Cherry Trees, Chisenhale, Clara Grant, Halley, Harbinger, Holy Family, Kobi Nazrul, Manorfield, Marner, St Agnes’ RC, St Edmund’s, St Peter’s London Docks, St Saviour’s and Stebon, plus Ian Mikardo Special.
Secondary schools awarded were Bow Boys, Central Foundation for Girls, George Green’s, Langdon Park and Swanlea.