East Enders more honest with TV licence than most—official
IT’S official! Telly viewers in London’s deprived East End are more honest than most families in the affluent leafy suburbs! TV licence dodgers nabbed in Tower Hamlets, Britain’s poorest borough, were only 16th on London’s bad boys’ list of shame
IT’S official! Telly viewers in London’s deprived East End are more honest than most families in the affluent leafy suburbs!
TV licence dodgers nabbed in Tower Hamlets, Britain’s poorest borough, were only 16th on London’s bad boys’ list of shame.
Only 903 were caught without a permit in the first six months of the year, according to latest figures this morning (Wednesday) from the TV Licensing agency.
You may also want to watch:
But by shock contrast, Tower Hamlets’ East London neighbours in Newham were the worst in the capital.
The ’tecs at TV Licensing collared almost 2,000 dodgers in Newham, more than any of the 33 London boroughs.
Our Docklands neighbours to the south didn’t do much better, with 1,600 nabbed in Greenwich.
- 1 Dog festival gets go-ahead for Isle of Dogs, of all places
- 2 Pedestrian struck by motorcycle in critical condition following Stepney collision
- 3 Kenny Jackett emerges as odds-on favourite for Leyton Orient job
- 4 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 5 South Africa and Indian Covid variants found in Shoreditch and Dalston
- 6 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 7 Battle lost to save historic Whitechapel bell foundry
- 8 Campaign launched to 'clean up the Thames and help save world's oceans'
- 9 Hot tub and BBQ boats relaunched at Canary Wharf
- 10 'Stop building more towers,' MP at protest after New Providence Wharf fire
More than 19,000 were caught across London as a whole during the first half of 2009.
The moderately’ honest East Enders were an example to the cheats in the leafy suburbs, however.
Enfield had 1,673 dodgers, Harringay 1,477 and Barnet 1,248, for example.
Other East London boroughs weren’t as bad. Waltham Forest had 1,164, Barking & Dagenham 1,114, Hackney 1,061 and Redbridge 1,028.