East Enders more honest with TV licence than most—official
IT’S official! Telly viewers in London’s deprived East End are more honest than most families in the affluent leafy suburbs! TV licence dodgers nabbed in Tower Hamlets, Britain’s poorest borough, were only 16th on London’s bad boys’ list of shame
IT’S official! Telly viewers in London’s deprived East End are more honest than most families in the affluent leafy suburbs!
TV licence dodgers nabbed in Tower Hamlets, Britain’s poorest borough, were only 16th on London’s bad boys’ list of shame.
Only 903 were caught without a permit in the first six months of the year, according to latest figures this morning (Wednesday) from the TV Licensing agency.
But by shock contrast, Tower Hamlets’ East London neighbours in Newham were the worst in the capital.
The ’tecs at TV Licensing collared almost 2,000 dodgers in Newham, more than any of the 33 London boroughs.
Our Docklands neighbours to the south didn’t do much better, with 1,600 nabbed in Greenwich.
- 1 Three stabbed in Chrisp Street chicken shop
- 2 8 charged after drugs raids in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 3 V&A launches festival to celebrate 150 years in Bethnal Green
- 4 Council rapped by ombudsman after not following safeguarding procedures
- 5 Series of failures sees Met Police placed under special measures
- 6 Firefighter retires after cancer diagnosis
- 7 Old Bailey courts closed as barrister strike action gets under way
- 8 Footballer convicted of hate crime after homophobic abuse of opponent
- 9 Man accused of Yasmin Begum killing denies murder and burglary
- 10 Bow Lock murder: Victim's two girlfriends give evidence at Old Bailey
More than 19,000 were caught across London as a whole during the first half of 2009.
The moderately’ honest East Enders were an example to the cheats in the leafy suburbs, however.
Enfield had 1,673 dodgers, Harringay 1,477 and Barnet 1,248, for example.
Other East London boroughs weren’t as bad. Waltham Forest had 1,164, Barking & Dagenham 1,114, Hackney 1,061 and Redbridge 1,028.