East Enders’ phone captures winning Vicky Park image
A PHOTOGRAPH of Victoria Park’s iconic Pavilion Caf� captured the imagination of residents as they voted the picture victorious in a recent competition.
The man behind the photograph was Bow’s Jordi Martorell who fought stiff competition and won �50 worth of shopping vouchers.
Keen photographer Jordi said: “I visit Victoria Park every week and often take pictures there.
“I was walking past the caf� one day, and the sky looked really dramatic. I took the picture with my mobile phone as that’s all I had on me.”
More than 300 photographs of Victoria Park were collected during the autumn months. The photographs, which help to paint a picture of the park’s past and present, ranged from the 1930s to the 1990s.
Showing historical happenings, such as a visit by the late Queen Mother to family fun days, the photos illustrate how the park has changed over the years while remain a vital part of East End life.
The images were whittled down to just 10, and the public were given the chance to vote for their favourite.
- 1 Tower Hamlets A Level results 2022: Live updates for borough's schools
- 2 Man, woman and child escape 'large' e-bike fire in Wapping flat by climbing out window
- 3 Plan to install gates at canalside development blocked despite ASB concerns
- 4 Thames Water: Hosepipe ban announced for London and Thames Valley
- 5 Investigation under way after fire and explosion at Shoreditch block
- 6 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 7 'Ruthless' killer sentenced for Isle of Dogs murder
- 8 Teenager, 17, arrested after car crashes into Bow apartment building
- 9 Canary Wharf Underground station stabbing leaves man in hospital
- 10 London Assembly: TfL urged to rethink plans to cut 78 bus routes
The archive project is part of the park’s �12 million restoration project during which Tower Hamlets council asked people to upload their photographs to provide a snapshot of life in the park prior to the restoration.
All of the images are available to view on Flickr - www.flickr.com/groups/thepeoplespark