East Enders step ahead on Big Walk from Poplar to Greenwich
Parents and schoolchildren hit the streets to take part in a Big Walk from Poplar to Greenwich on Saturday.
More than 70 parents and schoolchildren, including from Bygrove, Culloden, Holy Family, Manorfield, St Saviour’s and Woolmore primary schools, set out from the Idea Store in Chrisp Street to Greenwich Park.
The three-mile walk, along a route which included Mudchute Farm and a riverfront walk near Seyssel Street, was organised by Asma Begum, a parent at Woolmore primary school.
She applied for a Can Do grant of �250 from Tower Hamlets council’s healthy borough programme..
The grants are designed to allow people to develop projects which encourage physical activity and healthy lifestyles.
You may also want to watch:
Ms Begum said: “I was inspired to come up with the walk after a day trip to Greenwich Park.
“It was a great community event and lovely to see families come out on a cold windy day to enjoy the walk.”
- 1 Leyton Orient linked with Omar Beckles, Connor Wood and Paul Smyth
- 2 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 3 Drivers fight Tower Hamlets for years over 'clamping on private land'
- 4 Queen's Birthday Honours: Caterer who gave out free meals gets BEM
- 5 Docklands man pleads guilty to firearms offences
- 6 'Earn while you learn' new degree course for students from any background
- 7 Man 'brandishes gun' in busy Canary Wharf restaurant
- 8 Crossharbour scheme for 2,000 new homes on Isle of Dogs is halted
- 9 Driver threatened at gunpoint in Bromley-by-Bow carjacking
- 10 Plans mooted to change East End MP constituency boundaries
She is now planning to start her own walking club.
The group opted for public transport on their way home though, with Docklands Light Railway operators Serco offering free travel.
The walk also received the backing of Get Walking Keep Walking, the Poplar Partnership and the British Heart Foundation.
To find out more about walking in Tower Hamlets, including walking groups, visit towerhamlets.gov.uk/walking.