East Enders urged to go greener this Valentine’s Day
THIS Valentine’s Day, East Enders can show their love of the environment by signing Tower Hamlets council’s green pledge which aims to reduce waste.
Pledges can range from choosing to buy goods with less packaging, composting fruit and vegetable peelings, to exchanging unwanted clothes with friends and family.
Lists of potential pledges are outlined on the council’s website, and highlight the amount of money that residents can save by helping the environment. Residents can also make up their own green pledges.
exchange unwanted clothes and other items with friends and family – save up to �1,600 per year
You may also want to watch:
reduce food waste by making a shopping list and buying and cooking only what I need and save up to �680 per year
use reusable nappies and save up to �500 per child
- 1 Trial date set for MP Apsana Begum charged with 'housing fraud'
- 2 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 3 Plans mooted to change East End MP constituency boundaries
- 4 Docklands man pleads guilty to firearms offences
- 5 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- 6 Friends of John Pierce compiling 'book of memories' for his family
- 7 Photography celebrating Roman Road displayed in high street windows
- 8 Police renew appeal over disappearance of man last seen in Poplar
- 9 Man 'brandishes gun' in busy Canary Wharf restaurant
- 10 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
choose to buy goods with less packaging
compost fruit and vegetable peelings at home and save money by not having to buy bags of compost
use reusable shopping bags every time I go shopping
use a no junk mail sticker and sign up to the mailing preference service to reduce junk mail by a third
recycle all my paper, card, cans, cartons and bottles to save energy and landfill disposal costs
The council has teamed up with The Co-operative, who have provided two romantic hampers full of fair-trade chocolates and goodies worth up to �50, to encourage more residents to make a green pledge.
To enter, email your pledge and details to the council’s Recycling Team on email@example.com. Insert ‘My Valentine’s Pledge’ in the subject heading and along with a pledge be sure to include contact details.
All pledge entries received by 23 February 2011 will be entered into the draw.