East Enders urged to go greener this Valentine’s Day
THIS Valentine’s Day, East Enders can show their love of the environment by signing Tower Hamlets council’s green pledge which aims to reduce waste.
Pledges can range from choosing to buy goods with less packaging, composting fruit and vegetable peelings, to exchanging unwanted clothes with friends and family.
Lists of potential pledges are outlined on the council’s website, and highlight the amount of money that residents can save by helping the environment. Residents can also make up their own green pledges.
exchange unwanted clothes and other items with friends and family – save up to �1,600 per year
You may also want to watch:
reduce food waste by making a shopping list and buying and cooking only what I need and save up to �680 per year
use reusable nappies and save up to �500 per child
- 1 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 2 Man found stabbed on board night bus
- 3 Why some families can't leave Bow's 'dangerous structure' tower block
- 4 Two hospitalised as 60 firefighters tackle blaze in Stratford
- 5 Trees planted to remember people who died of Covid in the East End
- 6 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 7 Fast food! Lewis Hamilton-backed chain opening east London branches
- 8 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 9 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 10 O's will need a much improved display against leaders Forest Green
choose to buy goods with less packaging
compost fruit and vegetable peelings at home and save money by not having to buy bags of compost
use reusable shopping bags every time I go shopping
use a no junk mail sticker and sign up to the mailing preference service to reduce junk mail by a third
recycle all my paper, card, cans, cartons and bottles to save energy and landfill disposal costs
The council has teamed up with The Co-operative, who have provided two romantic hampers full of fair-trade chocolates and goodies worth up to �50, to encourage more residents to make a green pledge.
To enter, email your pledge and details to the council’s Recycling Team on firstname.lastname@example.org. Insert ‘My Valentine’s Pledge’ in the subject heading and along with a pledge be sure to include contact details.
All pledge entries received by 23 February 2011 will be entered into the draw.