East London worker named the ‘Best Barista of the Year’
- Credit: Archant
Fancy a cup of coffee served by the best barista at a Waitrose branch in the UK?
Then you need to head to Canary Wharf as that's where Szabina Azalma, who lives in East Ham, works.
Szabina beat off fierce competition from more than 250 colleagues across Waitrose to be crowned the company's Barista of the Year 2019.
Participants showed off their coffee making skills in three different rounds by making hot drinks such as cappuccinos, lattes and flat whites. Szabina can now enjoy a cup of Italian latte during an all expenses paid-for trip to Milan and tickets to Milan Coffee Festival that comes with the accolade.
She said: "I feel fantastic - I really wasn't expecting to win because of just how good everyone was. My colleagues were supportive throughout the competition and my regular customers were rooting for me all the way. I love making coffee because it means I can use my artistic side so working in the cafe is a great job for me."
You may also want to watch:
Simon Burdess, director of food service and hospitality at Waitrose, added: "Szabina is a brilliant example of how our passionate partners (staff) can make a customer's day through a well-crafted and expertly served coffee experience."
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 8 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 9 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 10 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park