East London faces 48-hour bus stirke
ANOTHER bus strike across East London is looming this month as drivers demand a pay rise. TENS of thousands of commuters were hit by a 24-hour bus strike this week as drivers began industrial action at 3am on Monday, picketing stations including Bow. Ta
ANOTHER bus strike across East London is looming this month as drivers demand a pay rise.
TENS of thousands of commuters were hit by a 24-hour bus strike this week as drivers began industrial action at 3am on Monday, picketing stations including Bow.
Talks with the transport workers' union Unite had broken down after the company imposed a pay freeze.
Union regional industrial organiser, John Griffiths said: "We had support from all the garages and if we don't get a response from the company we will strike again. Drivers want is to be treated fairly."
You may also want to watch:
Figures released by the company put basic pay for a five-day week from �28,000 to �31,000 a year, with drivers on the 25 'bendy' bus along Whitechapel and Mile End from Oxford Street earning above �35,000.
The company's chief executive Nigel Barrett said: "The current economic environment has an impact on our revenue and growth. In the circumstances, we are unable to offer any pay rise."
- 1 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 2 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears
- 4 Green light for £1m in levies to be used for East End fire rescue ladder
- 5 Man arrested following triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs
- 6 'Laughing gas central': Call for action on antisocial behaviour
- 7 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 8 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 9 Bethnal Green rubbish 'attracts rats' as 'pingdemic' delays collections
- 10 No arrests after triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs
The group has now been warned of a 48-hour strike starting on November 20.
It also has garages at West Ham, Upton Park, Leyton, Barking and Romford.