East London kids face rejection in scramble for university places
MANY school-leavers could face rejection in the summer scramble’ for university places in East London. Applications for 2010 are up by 50 per cent at the University of East London, compared to a year ago, double the national average
MANY school-leavers could face rejection in the summer scramble’ for university places in East London, figures out today reveal.
Applications for 2010 are up by 50 per cent at the University of East London, compared to a year ago, and double the national average.
But places are getting fewer because of Government cuts in higher education, warns the university’s Vice Chancellor.
“Government limits on student places make our job increasingly difficult,” said Prof Patrick McGhee.
You may also want to watch:
“Higher education is the best investment’ for economic recovery in a region such as East London.
“But many of our applicants working hard to get on in life now face stiff competition for places. The opportunities for our community are increasingly fewer. "
The figures issued today (Monday) by UCAS, the universities’ shared admissions service, show record demand for places, with more students being accepted into higher education than ever before.
- 1 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 2 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and referendums
- 3 New Providence Wharf fire: Two in hospital and 42 treated at scene
- 4 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
- 5 New Providence Wharf: The four-year fight to remove 'Grenfell cladding'
- 6 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 7 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 8 Street food and farmers' market return to City Island
- 9 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 10 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
The national picture shows almost 30 per cent rise in applications, with many from abroad, especially the EU. But the current trend suggests fewer places available during August’s clearing’ stage.