East London kids face rejection in scramble for university places
MANY school-leavers could face rejection in the summer scramble’ for university places in East London. Applications for 2010 are up by 50 per cent at the University of East London, compared to a year ago, double the national average
MANY school-leavers could face rejection in the summer scramble’ for university places in East London, figures out today reveal.
Applications for 2010 are up by 50 per cent at the University of East London, compared to a year ago, and double the national average.
But places are getting fewer because of Government cuts in higher education, warns the university’s Vice Chancellor.
“Government limits on student places make our job increasingly difficult,” said Prof Patrick McGhee.
You may also want to watch:
“Higher education is the best investment’ for economic recovery in a region such as East London.
“But many of our applicants working hard to get on in life now face stiff competition for places. The opportunities for our community are increasingly fewer. "
The figures issued today (Monday) by UCAS, the universities’ shared admissions service, show record demand for places, with more students being accepted into higher education than ever before.
- 1 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 2 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 3 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 4 Police patrols to increase after fatal Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 5 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 6 Sadiq Khan warns of flood threat in east London from climate emergency
- 7 Things to do: Explore east London this weekend
- 8 Covid-19 cases monthly fall at Barts Trust hospitals
- 9 Teenager suffers 'life-changing' injuries after alleged attack in Shadwell
- 10 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
The national picture shows almost 30 per cent rise in applications, with many from abroad, especially the EU. But the current trend suggests fewer places available during August’s clearing’ stage.