164 East End kids offered no Tower Hamlets school place for September
Six out of every 100 children in London’s East End have so far failed to get secondary school places for September, it has emerged.
Now Tower Hamlets councillors are calling on Mayor Lutfur Rahman to abandon plans for a new Town Hall and, instead, get cracking on new schools to solve the “growing crisis” of lack of places.
The Pan-London Coordinated Admissions scheme shows a third of all pupils in Tower Hamlets have been denied their first choice for secondary school—71 per cent getting their top preference, just above the London average, 14 per cent their second preference and six per cent their third.
But another six per cent, 164 pupils out of the 2,740 youngsters applying for a place in September, were offered nothing and will have to be allocated any place left over.
“The Mayor must start facing up to the shortage of school places,” urged Cllr Bill Turner, Labour’s Lead Member for Children and Schools.
You may also want to watch:
“We need new schools—not a new vanity Town Hall for the Mayor.
“We’ve been warning about this challenge for a year and the problem is getting worse.”
- 1 Vigil for June Harvey one year on from Bow crane tragedy
- 2 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 3 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 4 Poplar MP acquitted of Tower Hamlets housing fraud
- 5 Mum plans to use Raine's Foundation site for new East Park church school
- 6 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
- 7 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 8 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 9 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 10 Unlocked rooms created 'radiation exposure risk' at hospital, inspectors report
However, nine out of 10 youngsters got a place at one of their top three choices, the council points out. Parents were sent letters on March 1 with their offers.
There were 137 more pupils applying for places this year compared to 2012. Tower Hamlets schools were “more popular than ever” with six receiving more first preference applications than available places.
A Town Hall spokesman said: “Those who have not been allocated a place at one of their chosen schools have been advised of the schools where there are still places.”
Some 77,000 youngsters across London applied for secondary places this year through the Coordinated Admissions scheme, with 70 per cent getting ‘first choice’ offers.