A chance to get inside the corridors of power
MP Jim Fitzpatrick is calling on young people in the East End to take advantage of a paid work placement in parliament.
The MP for Poplar and Limehouse is urging young people from disadvantaged backgrounds with an interest in politics to apply for the
Speaker’s Parliamentary Placement Scheme.
But there is no age limit for the cross-party initiative, launched by the Social Mobility Fund, and it is open to all people from disadvantaged and diverse backgrounds looking to get a foot inside the corridors of power.
Under the scheme, backed by the Speaker, 12 successful applicants will from October spend eight months in Parliament —six months working for a Member of Parliament and two months working for the House of Commons.
You may also want to watch:
By paying successful applicants a living wage the cross-party scheme supports people to work and live in London, and aims to prevent those unable to undertake unpaid internships from being frozen out of politics.
Fitzpatrick said: “The scheme can provide a real opportunity for a young person who wants to get their foot in the door. At the moment there are mostly unpaid opportunities in Parliament which forces out those who come from ordinary backgrounds. This must change and this scheme is one way”
- 1 Man stabbed outside West India Quay DLR station
- 2 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 3 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 4 Campaigners taking on town hall to keep Isle of Dogs youth club open
- 5 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 6 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 7 Eggslut food truck to bring 'edible breakfast cloud' to Shoreditch
- 8 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 9 Police chief to be quizzed at East London Mosque
- 10 Somali kitchen in Bethnal Green gets halal help from Amazon staff
“I call on the young people of Poplar and Limehouse who have passion for politics to apply. They are exactly the kind of people this scheme is for and they deserve a chance like any other.”
The deadline for applications is noon on July 22.
To apply visit www.socialmobility.org.uk