Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- Credit: Aldgate School
Children have been recruited from the Aldgate School to join the famous Young Voices choir as backing for pop icon Billy Ocean's new single, out on January 27.
The Bill Withers’ classic Lovely Day has been specially recorded for the Place2Be charity, with all profits going to Children’s Mental Health Week from February 1.
“The past year has been challenging with home schooling,” the charity’s chief Catherine Roche said. “Supporting children’s mental health is more important than ever.”
The Young Voices choir took on 14 pupils from The Aldgate for the recording before lockdown as part of an educational programme using music to develop skills in communication, collaboration and creativity.
The school's own choir director Patricia Bilbrough said: "It gave the children such a boost to be involved in this Young Voices recording having not sung properly since last March and to be singing with legend Billy Ocean. We are so happy to play our part in supporting Children’s Mental Health.”
You may also want to watch:
The Aldgate, formerly Sir John Cass Foundation, is a hotspot for music with a thriving school orchestra and choir.
The Place2Be charity, which has teams based in schools like The Aldgate, estimates around eight out of 10 youngsters it helps have been badly affected by the pandemic.
- 1 Front-runners for Leyton Orient vacancy after Ross Embleton departure
- 2 Jailed: East End county lines dealers who peddled heroin and crack cocaine
- 3 Man arrested in east London for terrorist offences
- 4 Leyton Orient announce Embleton exit
- 5 Thugs attack each other with bottles of wine in supermarket mass brawl
- 6 Police raid cannabis cafe in 200-year-old Whitechapel building
- 7 Tideway super sewer arrives at Tower Bridge ready to bore east London
- 8 Orient announce McAnuff as interim manager
- 9 East Ham man raped woman with his friend in Wapping park 23 years ago
- 10 Shamima Begum cannot return to UK, Supreme Court rules