Author Jeremy Strong finds Arnham Wharf pupils ‘fantastibubblycrumbo’!
- Credit: Arnham Wharf School
Children’s author Jeremy Strong had a rather long word to describe what he thought were delightful schoolchildren he met in London’s East End as “fantastibubblycrumbo”!
He was invited to give a presentation at Millwall’s Arnham Wharf Primary school on the Isle of Dogs during a fortnight of events, which included a dress-up day when they came to school as their favourite book characters, following International Book Day earlier this month.
“The young audience was so attentive and involved,” Jeremy said. “It’s helpful for me when they are so responsive.
“They specially decorated the hall with wonderful giant books and children’s writing and drawing inspired by my own work.
“It was such a special day for me, the children being so delightful—or ‘fantastibubblycrumbo!’ as one of my young characters might say.”
You may also want to watch:
Jeremy gave tips for budding authors, as well as making jokes.
He was one of two children’s authors invited to the school, along with Sally Grindley who has written 140 books.
- 1 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
- 2 Two men arrested in connection with Shadwell double stabbing
- 3 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
- 4 Man found with stab injuries in Stepney
- 5 Teenager suffers 'life-changing' injuries after alleged attack in Shadwell
- 6 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
- 7 David Gomoh's killers jailed 101 years total for Canning Town murder
- 8 Man who died in Mile End park named
- 9 Leyton Orient seal first away win of the season at Bristol Rovers
- 10 'Food delivery' youth in suspect Shoreditch drugs bust
Pupils in the Early Years and Key Stage 1 were visited on World Book Day itself by Sally Grindley when they learned about the process of picture-book making.
The school was transformed into a fictional world during the fortnight, with props and displays made by the pupils.
The youngsters also brought in books to be signed by the visiting authors.