Bethnal Green woman recognised with Adult Learners’ Week award
- Credit: Archant
Deemed to old for free access to a mainstream school at 18, Ruksana Begum spoke very little English. Two years later and with the help of a community centre, she has been recognised with an award for her efforts as part of Adult Learners’ Week, which takes place on June 14-20.
Two years later and with the help of a community centre, she has been recognised with an award for her efforts as part of Adult Learners’ Week, which takes place on June 14-20.
She was named as the winner of the Learning Life Skills Individual Award and will receive her award in a ceremony at
Ruksana said: “It takes time and energy to learn the skills needed for work, so I was determined to learn English and develop new skills to help me get a job.
“I also wanted to make my family proud as I was aware that my younger siblings needed a role model to look up to.”
You may also want to watch:
Ruksana, from Bethnal Green, has improved her language skills thanks to Heba, which provides training for women from a range of cultural backgrounds.
The centre helped her to complete three entry level English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) courses.
- 1 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 2 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 3 John McDonnell is character witness for Poplar MP accused of housing fraud
- 4 Leyton Orient boss Jackett full of praise for Sotiriou after Magpies win
- 5 Driver demo blocks Uber's Whitechapel HQ in termination appeals dispute
- 6 Community patrols to stamp out Poplar's street crime
- 7 Ice cream parlour with 'no added sugar' to open in Canary Wharf
- 8 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 9 Youthful Orient side nab a draw away to Dulwich Hamlet
- 10 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
Skills Minister Matthew Hancock said: “The achievements of this year’s NIACE Adult Learners’ Week winners show the positive change education can make.
“I am a big fan of Adult Learners’ Week and the contribution it makes in celebrating the people who have embraced education in adulthood and in encouraging those who are considering starting out on a similar journey.”