Brainy bunch put Woolmore School top of ‘Number Partner’ challenge
- Credit: TH Education Business Partnership
The ‘Brainy Bunch’ lived up to their name to scoop this year’s primary schools ‘Number Partner Challenge’.
Nine teams competed in the finals out of the 60 teams from 12 Tower Hamlets schools in London’s East End.
The self-named Brainy Bunch from Poplar’s Woolmore Primary added up the top score in the hour-long challenge live at the grand final of the 2015 Number Partner contest held at Commerzbank’s UK in the City.
“I never thought I could do this!” young Humairah Yasmin from Woolmore’s winning team said. “But the challenge helped me enjoy maths.”
Her team-mate Ruksar Aziz said: “Our ‘Number Partner’ Diane helped me believe we could achieve this.”
You may also want to watch:
First prize was a trip to the Science Museum in South Kensington.
Runners up from Whitechapel’s English Martyrs School and Bethnal Green’s Globe Primary received board games and maths equipment.
- 1 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 2 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 5 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 6 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 7 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 8 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 9 Pressure on government to provide laptops for lockdown learning
Qamruzz Aman from Globe said: “Work we did on trigonometry helped me in class.”
The ‘Number Partner’ programme run by Tower Hamlets Education Business Partnership pairs groups of children with a business volunteer, to improve numeracy and give them a role model.
There are 450 volunteers, or ‘Number’ partners, in 32 Tower Hamlets primary schools. Each team has an adult volunteer from the world of business and up to four children completing maths-related challenges in their regular weekly lunchtime sessions.