Cambridge Heath sixth formers get a taste of City life
Ambitious sixth form pupils from Cambridge Heath Sixth Form who are keen to pursue a high flying career in accountancy got a taste of City life.
The students from the new sixth form joined a one day event “Working in Accountancy in the City” at Cass Business School, part of the City of London Corporation’s initiative to raise awareness of job opportunities to young residents living near the City.
During the day, pupils in small groups, designed and established their own Successful Smoothie business, led by a volunteer from the Institute of Charted Accounts in England and Wales and had to keep a sharp eye on the books to make sure they balanced.
Pupils grilled current employees from the National Audit Office to find out about their jobs. They got the inside scoop from accountancy students at the Cass Business School and top recruitment agency, Training Counts, offered tips on how to create a stand out CV.
Shamim Hussain, 16, from Bethnal Green said: “I came to found out more about accountancy and it’s more interesting than I thought it would be. The tasks are really competitive and there’s a lot of work. I was keen to do medicine but now I’m also going to keep accountancy as an option.”
You may also want to watch:
David Pack, Partnerships Manager at the City of London Corporation says, “It is these less typical City-type jobs which are often overlooked but offer a fantastic city career. So it’s great to see genuine enthusiasm and interest from young people in pursuing an accountancy career.”
- 1 Poplar MP acquitted of Tower Hamlets housing fraud
- 2 Jury sent home for the day in MP Apsana Begum's trial on housing fraud charges
- 3 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 4 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 5 Mum plans to use Raine's Foundation site for new East Park church school
- 6 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
- 7 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 8 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears
- 9 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 10 Unlocked rooms created 'radiation exposure risk' at hospital, inspectors report