Canary Wharf college rated ‘outstanding’ by Ofsted
- Credit: Archant
A free school that opened less than two years ago has received an ‘outstanding’ Ofsted grading.
Canary Wharf College, in East Ferry Road, Isle of Dogs, opened less than two years ago to deliver quality, independent style, education for free in small class sizes in the heart of the Docklands.
Its aim is to ‘Live, Share and Celebrate the Love of Learning’ in a Christian environment while welcoming those of other faiths and cultures. Within less than five terms of opening it has become one of the most popular schools per pupil place in Tower Hamlets (Based on applications for entry into Reception this September).
Sarah Counter, lead proposer and principal at the school, said: “Innovation in education is where small, positive changes to the normal learning experiences bring about a rise in achievement. The children receive a high level of adult input and have a longer working day.
“All the classes work on Maths, phonics and literacy at the same time so each child can be placed into the appropriate ability group. 89 per cent of children passed their phonics this year and all the children in Years 1-3 are above the expected level for Reading and Maths”.
You may also want to watch:
Sarah said: “Information Technology and Science figures are high on the agenda too, with children as young as four capably switching between interactive white boards, touchscreen PCs, Beebots and iPads as their day unfolds. With the government’s vision of ‘Tech City’ blossoming on their doorstep in nearby Canary Wharf, skills in these areas are essential for our children”.
Children don’t finish their day until 4pm, allowing them to receive three hours a week of specialist taught sport, some of which takes place in their lunch breaks. The college also has an extended day activity programme after 4pm,
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 4 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears
- 5 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 6 Man arrested following triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs
- 7 Poplar and Limehouse MP's trial on housing fraud charges set to start
- 8 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 9 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 10 No arrests after triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs