Coffee shop worker has a shot at crafting best cuppa
A coffee shop worker is hoping to become the cream of the crop by crafting the perfect cuppa.
Jurate Ulcickaite, 25, who works at the Whitechapel branch of Costa Coffee, has reached the UK finals of the chain’s Barista of the Year competition.
Jurate, of Bethnal Green, will compete against coffee-makers from across London at the Regional Finals of the competition in Lambeth next month.
She won the London City heat earlier this month after impressing judges with her coffee making skill and passion, creating perfectly crafted cappuccino’s, lattes’ and espresso’s.
Jurate, who has worked for Costa for over a year, said: “I’m so pleased to have got this far and I’m looking forward to competing again.
I hope I can win because I have the skills, the experience and the enthusiasm for making coffee. I’ve just been promoted to assistant manager so my job promotion and being the best Barista in London City is fantastic. I hope I can carry on my celebrations by being the London regional winner too.”
As part of the competition the baristas will have to prepare their very own speciality drink. Jurate will make a Black Forest Coffee consisting of cream, chocolate and cherries with cherry syrup.
- 1 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 2 Bethnal Green officers sacked over 'abhorrent and discriminatory' messages
- 3 Three stabbed in Chrisp Street chicken shop
- 4 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 5 Bow Lock murder defendants blame each other for fatal attack
- 6 Former Tower Hamlets councillor publishes autobiography on life as a hijabi woman
- 7 Woman treated at scene as 40 firefighters called to Bow tower block
- 8 8 charged after drugs raids in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 9 Five classic Rolling Stones moments at BST Hyde Park
- 10 O2 Centre climb: Entertaining with fantastic panoramic views of London
Customers are invited to sample Jurate’s speciality drink during a special Happy Hour at the Whitechapel Costa branch tommorrow (Friday) from 10- 11am. Proceeds from every signature drink sold will go to the chain’s charity The Costa Foundation.
The winner of the Regional Finals will head to Costa’s Roastery in London for the global Champions Finals in October. The champion will win a ten day trip for two, with spending money to a country of their choice with a Costa coffee connection.