Coffee shop worker has a shot at crafting best cuppa
A coffee shop worker is hoping to become the cream of the crop by crafting the perfect cuppa.
Jurate Ulcickaite, 25, who works at the Whitechapel branch of Costa Coffee, has reached the UK finals of the chain’s Barista of the Year competition.
Jurate, of Bethnal Green, will compete against coffee-makers from across London at the Regional Finals of the competition in Lambeth next month.
She won the London City heat earlier this month after impressing judges with her coffee making skill and passion, creating perfectly crafted cappuccino’s, lattes’ and espresso’s.
Jurate, who has worked for Costa for over a year, said: “I’m so pleased to have got this far and I’m looking forward to competing again.
You may also want to watch:
I hope I can win because I have the skills, the experience and the enthusiasm for making coffee. I’ve just been promoted to assistant manager so my job promotion and being the best Barista in London City is fantastic. I hope I can carry on my celebrations by being the London regional winner too.”
As part of the competition the baristas will have to prepare their very own speciality drink. Jurate will make a Black Forest Coffee consisting of cream, chocolate and cherries with cherry syrup.
- 1 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 2 Vigil for June Harvey one year on from Bow crane tragedy
- 3 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 4 Poplar MP acquitted of Tower Hamlets housing fraud
- 5 Mum plans to use Raine's Foundation site for new East Park church school
- 6 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
- 7 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 8 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 9 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 10 Unlocked rooms created 'radiation exposure risk' at hospital, inspectors report
Customers are invited to sample Jurate’s speciality drink during a special Happy Hour at the Whitechapel Costa branch tommorrow (Friday) from 10- 11am. Proceeds from every signature drink sold will go to the chain’s charity The Costa Foundation.
The winner of the Regional Finals will head to Costa’s Roastery in London for the global Champions Finals in October. The champion will win a ten day trip for two, with spending money to a country of their choice with a Costa coffee connection.