Danes pick up tips for running parks from Tower Hamlets
Tower Hamlets has attracted Danish visitors hoping to discover the secrets of the success behind one of the borough’s park.
The 50 delegates from a housing association in Copenhagen visited Mile End Park to find out how the council works with local groups, the police and the community to tackle anti-social behaviour, improve youth engagement and attract visitors to the park.
They were given a tour of the award winning park by Head of Parks at Tower Hamlets, Michael Rowan earlier this month.
Their tour included the Arts Pavilion which puts on regular exhibitions by local, national and international artists, and the Children’s Play Park and Adventure Park where young people can try out skate boarding, electric go-karts, a climbing wall or sing in the recording studio.
The tour also gave them an insight into the park’s history, bio diversity, horticulture and maintenance.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Rowan said: “Mile End Park prides itself on innovation and is always looking to try out different things. We not only offer a great open space for residents to relax in but also a haven for wildlife and year round programme of events. The delegates from Denmark were very impressed with the park.”
The park was recently awarded Green Flag status, which recognises exceptional high quality green public spaces. As part of the scheme the park also won an award for innovation, acknowledging the park’s outstanding contribution to the community.
- 1 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 Fines totalling £361k handed to East End landlords and agents
- 4 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 5 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 6 Barts Health NHS Trust reports one of lowest rates of vaccinated staff
- 7 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 8 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 9 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 10 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week