Danes pick up tips for running parks from Tower Hamlets
Tower Hamlets has attracted Danish visitors hoping to discover the secrets of the success behind one of the borough’s park.
The 50 delegates from a housing association in Copenhagen visited Mile End Park to find out how the council works with local groups, the police and the community to tackle anti-social behaviour, improve youth engagement and attract visitors to the park.
They were given a tour of the award winning park by Head of Parks at Tower Hamlets, Michael Rowan earlier this month.
Their tour included the Arts Pavilion which puts on regular exhibitions by local, national and international artists, and the Children’s Play Park and Adventure Park where young people can try out skate boarding, electric go-karts, a climbing wall or sing in the recording studio.
The tour also gave them an insight into the park’s history, bio diversity, horticulture and maintenance.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Rowan said: “Mile End Park prides itself on innovation and is always looking to try out different things. We not only offer a great open space for residents to relax in but also a haven for wildlife and year round programme of events. The delegates from Denmark were very impressed with the park.”
The park was recently awarded Green Flag status, which recognises exceptional high quality green public spaces. As part of the scheme the park also won an award for innovation, acknowledging the park’s outstanding contribution to the community.
- 1 Man, 19, stabbed in Stepney Green Park
- 2 Refugee fighting £2,850 claim in lettings agency dispute
- 3 Cyclist in critical condition after 'serious collision' in Bow
- 4 Shoppers queue for bread on opening weekend of new Wapping street market
- 5 Jailed: Teenagers who left victim blind in one eye after train stabbing
- 6 Canary Wharf floats idea for new green restaurant on water
- 7 Patient group set up over allegations of 'poor care' at Royal London
- 8 New street market coming to Docklands is Will's passion
- 9 Brick Lane's famous bagel shop launches delivery service
- 10 'Torrent of hate' stalker tweeted pictures of victim on social media