East End kids get their top choices for school places
- Credit: Rochelle Primary
Nearly all children starting Reception class or secondary school in September have a place at one of their first three preferred schools in London’s East End—well above the regional and national average.
The 96 per cent achievement for Reception Class puts Tower Hamlets in the top five London boroughs for primary admissions.
Figures also show 87pc got their first choice, two per cent above last year’s figures, with 3,500 children starting in a primary school next term.
Secondary school admissions have also beaten the London average, with 93pc of pupils getting a place in one of their first three choices.
“These show our improvement every year,” Tower Hamlets council’s Pupil Services chief Terry Bryan said.
“We have built a culture of success to provide parent choice at a standard well above the London average, in spite of ongoing pressure on school places.”
East London faces unprecedented demands to find enough places, with the population rising fast due to huge housing redevelopment throughout Docklands.
- 1 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
- 2 Jailed: Rapist who repeatedly attacked woman in her own home
- 3 Man arrested over two separate rape allegations - one previously unknown to police
- 4 Lib Dem candidate for Tower Hamlets mayor announced
- 5 Come Dine With Me calls on east London restaurants for new show
- 6 One per cent council tax rise planned with borough set for balanced budget
- 7 Olympian burglary: Men with links to Plaistow and Isle of Dogs wanted
- 8 ‘It is not tolerated’: CCTV images released after West Ham game disorder
- 9 Wanted: Man known to commit offences on train and tube network
- 10 Guilty: East London criminals jailed in December 2021
The Isle of Dogs is one of London’s worst population pressure points, adding to demand for expanding education services.
Children who were not offered their choice have been allocated to schools with places remaining, the Town Hall confirmed today.
Those whose parents applied after the application closing date are being allocated places early next month.