East End’s Budding young journalists take on big issues at News Academy
- Credit: News Academy
Pupils from Bow’s Central Foundation Girls’ Secondary considering careers in journalism were among students from 15 schools taking part in News Academy’s 12th London conference.
The would-be journalists aged 16 to 18 met some of Britain’s top reporters, columnists and correspondents and debated the issues in the industry at News UK headquarters near London Bridge.
Shadow Education Secretary Tristram Hunt, a former broadcast journalist, opened the conference with his views on the media.
News Academy’s director Duncan White said: “The programme was an ideal opportunity for budding young journalists to get the help and advice needed to start a successful career in journalism.”
The academy is offering places for its 2015 summer school, where students spend a week at News UK getting an in-depth insight into a career in the media, creating and publishing their own newspaper under guidance of professional journalists. Applications opened today.
Budding young reporters can check out News Academy’s website for videos and articles which provide tutorials, hints and tips on subjects as diverse as spotting a good story, building up contacts and essential law.
You may also want to watch:
News Academy also offers to host visits by schools or individual students.
These include talks by leading journalists and workshops where young visitors learn the skills needed to start making their way in the industry.
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 3 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 4 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 5 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 6 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 7 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 8 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 9 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 10 Doctors urge Tower Hamlets mayor to end support for Silvertown Tunnel
News Academy, which opened in January, 2014, is News UK media group’s ongoing programme to train the next generation of those considering a career in the media.