East End’s Budding young journalists take on big issues at News Academy
- Credit: News Academy
Pupils from Bow’s Central Foundation Girls’ Secondary considering careers in journalism were among students from 15 schools taking part in News Academy’s 12th London conference.
The would-be journalists aged 16 to 18 met some of Britain’s top reporters, columnists and correspondents and debated the issues in the industry at News UK headquarters near London Bridge.
Shadow Education Secretary Tristram Hunt, a former broadcast journalist, opened the conference with his views on the media.
News Academy’s director Duncan White said: “The programme was an ideal opportunity for budding young journalists to get the help and advice needed to start a successful career in journalism.”
The academy is offering places for its 2015 summer school, where students spend a week at News UK getting an in-depth insight into a career in the media, creating and publishing their own newspaper under guidance of professional journalists. Applications opened today.
Budding young reporters can check out News Academy’s website for videos and articles which provide tutorials, hints and tips on subjects as diverse as spotting a good story, building up contacts and essential law.
You may also want to watch:
News Academy also offers to host visits by schools or individual students.
These include talks by leading journalists and workshops where young visitors learn the skills needed to start making their way in the industry.
- 1 Jailed: Cyclist who rode off after fatal collision with 'gentleman', 72
- 2 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 3 Leyton Orient sign Theo Archibald on loan from Lincoln City
- 4 Jury sent home for the day in MP Apsana Begum's trial on housing fraud charges
- 5 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 6 Highest point reached on new homes in disused Bethnal Green car park
- 7 Covid stats show cases rising across east London boroughs
- 8 John McDonnell is character witness for Poplar MP accused of housing fraud
- 9 ‘Humanitarian disaster’ food shortage for East End families in poverty
- 10 Thames Path voted UK's No one for walking — even if blocked in places
News Academy, which opened in January, 2014, is News UK media group’s ongoing programme to train the next generation of those considering a career in the media.