East End’s Morpeth schoolkids wise up on job skills with City bankers RBS
- Credit: Morpeth Secondary
Pupils from London’s East End have completed a programme with the Royal Bank of Scotland to give them ‘employability’ skills when they leave school.
The programme run by Tower Hamlets Education Business Partnership over the course of the year at Bethnal Green’s Morpeth Secondary included workshops with bank volunteers on teamwork, time management, communication, CV writing and interview techniques. It gives them accredited BTEC Level 2 qualifications in Work Skills.
RBS’s David Noden, who took part in one of the workshops, said: “I have noticed a difference from when I first met them—they are now more open and able to engage in conversation.”
The youngsters received certificates at RBS City HQ and were given a tour of the building in Bishopsgate by some of their volunteer mentors.
They all spoke of benefitting from working with the bank staff to gain an insight into the working world.
You may also want to watch:
One pupil, Kaltun Farah, said: “We learned about having to communicate with your team-mates and that you need to have a good personal image for a first impression to others.”
Their favourite activity, however, was the fashion workshop, designing a charity T-shirt which one of them modelled on a catwalk, and producing a budget and marketing plan.
- 1 Vigil for June Harvey one year on from Bow crane tragedy
- 2 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 3 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 4 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
- 5 Mum plans to use Raine's Foundation site for new East Park church school
- 6 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 7 Poplar MP acquitted of Tower Hamlets housing fraud
- 8 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 9 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 10 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
It was the third year RBS has worked with Morpeth School on the employability programme.