Eyes light up as Globe Primary kids get hands dirty for Artyface project
- Credit: Artyface
Eyes lit up when children got their hands on big, squoshy lumps of clay for their school sculpture project working with professional artists in London’s East End.
The youngsters have just completed their three-dimension sculptures which now decorate Bethnal Green’s Globe Primary School.
They threw clay on a potter’s wheel in the project run by Artyface Community Art. Most had never done it before.
“Their eyes lit up when they got their hands on the clay,” Artyface tutor Alice Mara explained. “Every child managed to produce a pot first time round—it was lovely seeing how they added little extra clay hands and body parts onto the pots afterwards.”
The brief was for each class to use new materials and methods to make a 3D artwork, with ‘the body’ as the theme.
Headteacher Marie Maxwell said: “The work surpassed our expectations and looks great around the school. This project helped develop art, history and literacy in the school.
“The Artyface artists, as usual, did a thorough job fulfilling our brief and doing an excellent work.”
- 1 Archie Battersbee case to be reconsidered in High Court
- 2 Bethnal Green officers sacked over 'abhorrent and discriminatory' messages
- 3 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 4 Guilty: Man murdered woman at bus stop and tried to kill another a day later
- 5 Former Tower Hamlets councillor publishes autobiography on life as a hijabi woman
- 6 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 7 1888 Match Girls’ Strike marked with blue plaque in east London
- 8 Three stabbed in Chrisp Street chicken shop
- 9 Bow Lock murder defendants blame each other for fatal attack
- 10 8 charged after drugs raids in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
Verdict from one five-year-old taking part: “I loved it—working with artists is one of my favourite things.”
Artyface is offering schools the chance to teach pottery at its mosaic workshops on the River Lea and River Thames, which can be arranged online.