Firefighters battling sauna fire at historic Spitalfields building
Firefighters are currently tackling a fire at a sauna inside the London Fruit and Wool Exchange by Spitalfields Market.
Around 30 firefighters with six fire engines have this morning been battling the fire believed to be inside a sauna on the second floor of the five storey building on Brushfield Street.
A man suffering smoke inhalation escaped the building before the fire brigade arrived and was treated by ambulance staff at the scene, according to a London Fire Brigade spokesman.
The fire at the 1929 building is now under control and unlikely to spread, the spokesman said.
The Brigade was called at 8.20am and firefighters from Whitechapel, Old Kent Road, Bethnal Green and Shoreditch are on the scene. It’s not clear at this stage how the blaze started, according to the London fire Brigade.
You may also want to watch:
Plans are currently underway to transform the The London Fruit and Wool Exchange into a mixed-use 28,000m� office and retail scheme.
- 1 Patient group set up over allegations of 'poor care' at Royal London
- 2 Jailed: Teenagers who left victim blind in one eye after train stabbing
- 3 Canary Wharf floats idea for new green restaurant on water
- 4 Brick Lane's famous bagel shop launches delivery service
- 5 New street market coming to Docklands is Will's passion
- 6 Updated appeal for information about man last seen in Poplar in January
- 7 MPs pledge to fight on for 'forgotten victims' of IRA Canary Wharf bombing
- 8 Fire crews fight blaze at pub in Hackney Wick
- 9 Jailed: drug dealer who rammed police with stolen car to escape
- 10 Beer gardens reopening with face masks, sanitisers and cobblestones