Firefighters battling sauna fire at historic Spitalfields building
Firefighters are currently tackling a fire at a sauna inside the London Fruit and Wool Exchange by Spitalfields Market.
Around 30 firefighters with six fire engines have this morning been battling the fire believed to be inside a sauna on the second floor of the five storey building on Brushfield Street.
A man suffering smoke inhalation escaped the building before the fire brigade arrived and was treated by ambulance staff at the scene, according to a London Fire Brigade spokesman.
The fire at the 1929 building is now under control and unlikely to spread, the spokesman said.
The Brigade was called at 8.20am and firefighters from Whitechapel, Old Kent Road, Bethnal Green and Shoreditch are on the scene. It’s not clear at this stage how the blaze started, according to the London fire Brigade.
You may also want to watch:
Plans are currently underway to transform the The London Fruit and Wool Exchange into a mixed-use 28,000m� office and retail scheme.
- 1 Jury sent home for the day in MP Apsana Begum's trial on housing fraud charges
- 2 Jailed: Cyclist who rode off after fatal collision with 'gentleman', 72
- 3 Highest point reached on new homes in disused Bethnal Green car park
- 4 Leyton Orient sign Theo Archibald on loan from Lincoln City
- 5 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 6 Unlocked rooms created 'radiation exposure risk' at hospital, inspectors report
- 7 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 8 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
- 9 Community patrols to stamp out Poplar's street crime
- 10 Tower Hamlets strike called off after turnout for union ballot is too low