Firefighters battling sauna fire at historic Spitalfields building
Firefighters are currently tackling a fire at a sauna inside the London Fruit and Wool Exchange by Spitalfields Market.
Around 30 firefighters with six fire engines have this morning been battling the fire believed to be inside a sauna on the second floor of the five storey building on Brushfield Street.
A man suffering smoke inhalation escaped the building before the fire brigade arrived and was treated by ambulance staff at the scene, according to a London Fire Brigade spokesman.
The fire at the 1929 building is now under control and unlikely to spread, the spokesman said.
The Brigade was called at 8.20am and firefighters from Whitechapel, Old Kent Road, Bethnal Green and Shoreditch are on the scene. It’s not clear at this stage how the blaze started, according to the London fire Brigade.
You may also want to watch:
Plans are currently underway to transform the The London Fruit and Wool Exchange into a mixed-use 28,000m� office and retail scheme.
- 1 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 4 Go-ahead given for 315 more homes in third stage of Blackwall Reach scheme
- 5 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 6 'Grief and queer coming of age' theatre show to be put on for London Horror Festival
- 7 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 8 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 9 Why TfL won't restart the night tube on Jubilee line just yet
- 10 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week