Firefighters battling sauna fire at historic Spitalfields building
Firefighters are currently tackling a fire at a sauna inside the London Fruit and Wool Exchange by Spitalfields Market.
Around 30 firefighters with six fire engines have this morning been battling the fire believed to be inside a sauna on the second floor of the five storey building on Brushfield Street.
A man suffering smoke inhalation escaped the building before the fire brigade arrived and was treated by ambulance staff at the scene, according to a London Fire Brigade spokesman.
The fire at the 1929 building is now under control and unlikely to spread, the spokesman said.
The Brigade was called at 8.20am and firefighters from Whitechapel, Old Kent Road, Bethnal Green and Shoreditch are on the scene. It’s not clear at this stage how the blaze started, according to the London fire Brigade.
You may also want to watch:
Plans are currently underway to transform the The London Fruit and Wool Exchange into a mixed-use 28,000m� office and retail scheme.
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 5 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 6 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 7 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 8 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 9 Surplus DLR land released at Bow for new housing to tackle homes shortage
- 10 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom