George Green’s pupils scores with spruced-up new Astro turf football pitch
- Credit: Island Sports Trust
A school in east London has landed a £150,000 windfall from sports foundation bosses to spruce-up its football pitch Astro turf and improve community sports activity on the Isle of Dogs.
The official reopening of the pitch at Millwall’s George Green’s Secondary on January 18 was just in time for the winter freeze!
The grant from Island Sports Trust has been used by the school in Manchester Road to refurbish the pitch to improve football for other schools, clubs and community groups in the East End.
“We want to encourage people who haven’t played sports since their childhood days,” school principal Jill Baker said. “This investment means we can finally meet the growing demand to take part in sports, whether socially or competitively.”
The sports trust has a long-term programme of funding capital projects which inspire communities to get active and take part in sports and exercise.
You may also want to watch:
Groups wanting to use the new 3G Astro turf outside school hours can contact Island Sports Trust manager Mokbul Hussain on 020-7001 9441.
- 1 Jailed: Cyclist who rode off after fatal collision with 'gentleman', 72
- 2 Jury sent home for the day in MP Apsana Begum's trial on housing fraud charges
- 3 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 4 Leyton Orient sign Theo Archibald on loan from Lincoln City
- 5 Highest point reached on new homes in disused Bethnal Green car park
- 6 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 7 John McDonnell is character witness for Poplar MP accused of housing fraud
- 8 Bidding for Harry Kane's signed jersey open in Wapping Youth FC auction
- 9 Thames Path voted UK's No one for walking — even if blocked in places
- 10 Community patrols to stamp out Poplar's street crime