Girl and giraffe teach three-year-olds about mental health at Half Moon theatre in Limehouse
- Credit: Half Moon
A play teaching children how to cope with mental illness in the family is being staged at east London’s Half Moon theatre for audiences as young as three.
The 45-minute Girl and The Giraffe production being staged tomorrow (Sat) by Floods of Ink theatre company addresses issues of mental health for youngsters up to six and their families.
“This is teaching them that sometimes people can be poorly in ways that aren’t always obvious,” Floods of Ink co-founder Amber-Rose May who plays Girl explains.
“We shared personal stories with friends and family, talking to people whose lives had been affected by mental illness, when we realised things can be daunting for adults to talk to children about mental health.
“So we created a show that explores these issues in an age-appropriate way.”
You may also want to watch:
Girl is playing in her garden when she spots something peculiar on the other side of the fence—and comes face to face with Giraffe.
A friendship grows, but Girl discovers that Giraffe isn’t well and tries to make him better with bandages, a cup of tea and even baking a cake, but doesn’t get it quite right.
- 1 Jailed: drug dealer who rammed police with stolen car to escape
- 2 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 3 Beer gardens reopening with face marks, sanitisers and cobblestones
- 4 Housing protest at Shadwell's Watney Market over service charges hike
- 5 Boxpark reopening in Shoreditch with face masks and Covid hygiene measures
- 6 New street market coming to Docklands is Will's passion
- 7 East End pays tribute to Prince Philip
- 8 Hundreds of customers descend on reopened retailers
- 9 'Torrent of hate' stalker tweeted pictures of victim on social media
- 10 Jailed: Smash-and-grab perfume raiders get 18 years between them
Girl soon realises that Giraffe doesn’t need a plaster for a graze or scratch, but something different, like friendship and love.
Mental health can be a difficult topic to address, Amber-Rose points out. Youngsters need to know that “sometimes we need a different kind of plaster for things we don’t see”.
The Girl and the Giraffe for ages 3-6 is December 10 at Half Moon children’s theatre in White Horse Road, off Commercial Road, near Limehouse station. Tickets £7 online or Box Office on 020-7709 8900.