Girl and giraffe teach three-year-olds about mental health at Half Moon theatre in Limehouse
- Credit: Half Moon
A play teaching children how to cope with mental illness in the family is being staged at east London’s Half Moon theatre for audiences as young as three.
The 45-minute Girl and The Giraffe production being staged tomorrow (Sat) by Floods of Ink theatre company addresses issues of mental health for youngsters up to six and their families.
“This is teaching them that sometimes people can be poorly in ways that aren’t always obvious,” Floods of Ink co-founder Amber-Rose May who plays Girl explains.
“We shared personal stories with friends and family, talking to people whose lives had been affected by mental illness, when we realised things can be daunting for adults to talk to children about mental health.
“So we created a show that explores these issues in an age-appropriate way.”
You may also want to watch:
Girl is playing in her garden when she spots something peculiar on the other side of the fence—and comes face to face with Giraffe.
A friendship grows, but Girl discovers that Giraffe isn’t well and tries to make him better with bandages, a cup of tea and even baking a cake, but doesn’t get it quite right.
- 1 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 2 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 3 Whitechapel murder victim named as teenager charged with killing
- 4 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
- 7 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 8 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact
- 9 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 10 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
Girl soon realises that Giraffe doesn’t need a plaster for a graze or scratch, but something different, like friendship and love.
Mental health can be a difficult topic to address, Amber-Rose points out. Youngsters need to know that “sometimes we need a different kind of plaster for things we don’t see”.
The Girl and the Giraffe for ages 3-6 is December 10 at Half Moon children’s theatre in White Horse Road, off Commercial Road, near Limehouse station. Tickets £7 online or Box Office on 020-7709 8900.