Girl and giraffe teach three-year-olds about mental health at Half Moon theatre in Limehouse
- Credit: Half Moon
A play teaching children how to cope with mental illness in the family is being staged at east London’s Half Moon theatre for audiences as young as three.
The 45-minute Girl and The Giraffe production being staged tomorrow (Sat) by Floods of Ink theatre company addresses issues of mental health for youngsters up to six and their families.
“This is teaching them that sometimes people can be poorly in ways that aren’t always obvious,” Floods of Ink co-founder Amber-Rose May who plays Girl explains.
“We shared personal stories with friends and family, talking to people whose lives had been affected by mental illness, when we realised things can be daunting for adults to talk to children about mental health.
“So we created a show that explores these issues in an age-appropriate way.”
Girl is playing in her garden when she spots something peculiar on the other side of the fence—and comes face to face with Giraffe.
A friendship grows, but Girl discovers that Giraffe isn’t well and tries to make him better with bandages, a cup of tea and even baking a cake, but doesn’t get it quite right.
- 1 New Kray twins book to explore lives of gangsters 'aside from the crimes'
- 2 Bow man appears in court charged with murder after body found in cemetery
- 3 Japanese udon noodles chain to mark Canary Wharf opening with free bowls
- 4 Bow man charged with drugs supply and criminal property offences
- 5 Riverside park extension above new sewage structures given green light
- 6 East End's 'last' Victorian funeral parlour being restored - and opens as burger bar
- 7 Jailed: Man who robbed and blackmailed men he met on Grindr
- 8 'Time to end the injustice': Barts staff set to strike amid pay dispute
- 9 Shoreditch floral café blooms at new premises in Bethnal Green
- 10 Bow man accused of carrying out fatal hammer attack appears at Old Bailey
Girl soon realises that Giraffe doesn’t need a plaster for a graze or scratch, but something different, like friendship and love.
Mental health can be a difficult topic to address, Amber-Rose points out. Youngsters need to know that “sometimes we need a different kind of plaster for things we don’t see”.
The Girl and the Giraffe for ages 3-6 is December 10 at Half Moon children’s theatre in White Horse Road, off Commercial Road, near Limehouse station. Tickets £7 online or Box Office on 020-7709 8900.