Glitzy night at Canary Wharf’s Hilton for Tower Hamlets ‘top students’ awards
- Credit: TH College promo
Top performing students have been basking in the limelight at their annual Achievement Awards at Canary Wharf’s prestigious Hilton Hotel.
BBC News and London Live TV presenter Claudia-Liza Armah presented the awards to students from Tower Hamlets College in London’s East End last Thursday with College Principal Gerry McDonald.
Bethnal Green & Bow MP Rushanara Ali, a governor and former student of the college, presented the Principal’s Award for Outstanding Academic Achievement to Fela Maslen, 18, from London Fields.
Highlights of the evening included Nadeem Sayeed, 19, from Bow, who won the ‘Humanities Student of the Year’ and was recognised for his mentoring support to fellow students and being selected by the US government for a global conference on issues concerning young Muslims.
Ashton Fulgence, 24, from the Isle of Dogs, won ‘Creative Arts Student of the Year’ and is currently working at Spitalfields Music as a digital marketing apprentice. He presented an interactive presentation to leading media industry professionals as part of his course.
You may also want to watch:
Ameera Khanom, 19, from Bethnal Green, won the ‘Contribution to College Life’ award for volunteering as a Student Ambassador at local schools in the East End, reading to children and taking part in Futurevarsity summer school.
Other winners included ‘Young Learner of the Year’ Rebecca Mitchell, 18, from the Isle of Dogs, currently an artist-in-residence at Mudchute city farm, and ‘Apprentice of the Year’ Lewis Boulcher now working at the National Theatre who beat off 50 rival applicants and also met the Queen on her visit there.
- 1 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 2 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 3 Whitechapel murder victim named as teenager charged with killing
- 4 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
- 7 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 8 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact
- 9 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 10 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
Adult Learners included ‘Access Student of the Year’ Lisa Sayers, 27, from Bow, for outstanding commitment to her studies while working full time in the evenings and weekends who starred in a TV commercial for the college this summer, ‘Adult Learner of the Year’ Ripa Begum, 26, from Poplar, for self-motivation and determination to complete her studies after giving birth at Easter, and ‘Aspirations Student of the Year’ Terry Donnan, who developed use of sign language to be more independent.
The awards were sponsored by media organisations such as Archant Newspapers publishers of the East London Advertiser, Thomson-Reuters global news-agency, Konica Minolta printers and Bouygues Telecom, as well as KPMG accountants.
Photos: Guy Levy