Goth Girl author Chris Riddell delights kids with readings at Half Moon theatre
- Credit: Half Moon promo
Award-winning children’s author and illustrator Chris Riddell delighted primary schoolkids during the first family fun-day organised by the Half Moon Young People’s Theatre in London’s East End since completing its £1 million makeover.
He read from his books and signed copies at a pop-up bookshop in the theatre foyer run by Victoria Park Books.
Riddell has penned many children’s stories, such as the Ottoline and the Alienography series, but more recently the award-winning Goth Girl and the Ghost of a Mouse. He has also won a Unesco Prize for Children’s Literature for Tolerance.
Events at the Half Moon also included puppet-making workshops and an art workshop with east London artist Ross Head who exhibited her striking collection of drawings, prints and paintings.
The Folded Feather theatre company also put on a puppetry display.
You may also want to watch:
The newly-refurbished children’s theatre housed in the ornate mid-Victorian Limehouse Board of Works municipal building in White Horse Road, off Commercial Road, has now fixed its leaky roof, chipped plasterwork and weather-worn stonework.
The renovations were paid for by the Arts Council lottery, the City Bridge Trust and foundations such as Foyle, Clothworkers’ and Wolfson—and a seven-year-old girl donating her pocket money.
- 1 Patient group set up over allegations of 'poor care' at Royal London
- 2 Leyton Orient boss McAnuff explains the reasoning for dropping Jamie Turley to the bench
- 3 Fire crews fight blaze at pub in Hackney Wick
- 4 Mother and son taken to hospital during "severe" fire in Bow
- 5 Former Bagel Factory turned into creative studios to rent out
- 6 Volunteers take food for Ramadan to neighbours on Isle of Dogs
- 7 Canary Wharf floats idea for new green restaurant on water
- 8 London elections 2021: City and East candidates make case for your vote
- 9 It was a big opportunity missed for Leyton Orient says boss Jobi McAnuff
- 10 Jailed: drug dealer who rammed police with stolen car to escape