Green business awards looking for Tower Hamlets contenders
The City of London has started a nation-wide search for the UK’s most inspirational green companies.
Last year a Whitechapel based business were one of the winners of the Sustainable City Awards run by the corporation.
Caf� Spice Namaste on Prescot Street saw its chef-Patron, Cyrus Todiwala, run away with the Leadership in Sustainability Award.
In a bid to showcase exemplary sustainable and green performance across large and small UK businesses, this year’s categories include Sustainable Buildings, Sustainable Procurement, Tackling Climate Change and Air Quality.
There is also Sustainable Food category, echoing initiatives such as TV chef Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall’s Fish Fight campaign advocating sustainable fishing.
You may also want to watch:
Head of Sustainable Development at London City Simon Mills said: “For the highly commended and winning organisations, this accolade will help them compete for both limited funding and external support, expanding the reach of their programmes as resources become ever-more precious.”
Last year winners chef-patron, Cyrus Todiwala, said: “Customers are increasingly attracted to restaurants that operate in a sustainable way. Winning the award is a real mark of excellence and pride, and proof that sustainability can go hand in hand with commercial success.”
- 1 Beer gardens reopening with face masks, sanitisers and cobblestones
- 2 Mother and son taken to hospital during "severe" fire in Bow
- 3 Patient group set up over allegations of 'poor care' at Royal London
- 4 Jailed: drug dealer who rammed police with stolen car to escape
- 5 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 6 Hundreds of customers descend on reopened retailers
- 7 Volunteers take food for Ramadan to neighbours on Isle of Dogs
- 8 Here's why people stay longer in the East End despite the crime
- 9 New street market coming to Docklands is Will's passion
- 10 Boxpark reopening in Shoreditch with face masks and Covid hygiene measures
In its ten year history, the Sustainable City Awards has seen a diverse winners ranging from eco-pubs to city companies.
Visit www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/sca to apply. The closing date is November14.