Green business awards looking for Tower Hamlets contenders
The City of London has started a nation-wide search for the UK’s most inspirational green companies.
Last year a Whitechapel based business were one of the winners of the Sustainable City Awards run by the corporation.
Caf� Spice Namaste on Prescot Street saw its chef-Patron, Cyrus Todiwala, run away with the Leadership in Sustainability Award.
In a bid to showcase exemplary sustainable and green performance across large and small UK businesses, this year’s categories include Sustainable Buildings, Sustainable Procurement, Tackling Climate Change and Air Quality.
There is also Sustainable Food category, echoing initiatives such as TV chef Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall’s Fish Fight campaign advocating sustainable fishing.
You may also want to watch:
Head of Sustainable Development at London City Simon Mills said: “For the highly commended and winning organisations, this accolade will help them compete for both limited funding and external support, expanding the reach of their programmes as resources become ever-more precious.”
Last year winners chef-patron, Cyrus Todiwala, said: “Customers are increasingly attracted to restaurants that operate in a sustainable way. Winning the award is a real mark of excellence and pride, and proof that sustainability can go hand in hand with commercial success.”
- 2 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 5 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 6 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 7 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 8 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 9 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
In its ten year history, the Sustainable City Awards has seen a diverse winners ranging from eco-pubs to city companies.
Visit www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/sca to apply. The closing date is November14.