Green business awards looking for Tower Hamlets contenders
The City of London has started a nation-wide search for the UK’s most inspirational green companies.
Last year a Whitechapel based business were one of the winners of the Sustainable City Awards run by the corporation.
Caf� Spice Namaste on Prescot Street saw its chef-Patron, Cyrus Todiwala, run away with the Leadership in Sustainability Award.
In a bid to showcase exemplary sustainable and green performance across large and small UK businesses, this year’s categories include Sustainable Buildings, Sustainable Procurement, Tackling Climate Change and Air Quality.
There is also Sustainable Food category, echoing initiatives such as TV chef Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall’s Fish Fight campaign advocating sustainable fishing.
You may also want to watch:
Head of Sustainable Development at London City Simon Mills said: “For the highly commended and winning organisations, this accolade will help them compete for both limited funding and external support, expanding the reach of their programmes as resources become ever-more precious.”
Last year winners chef-patron, Cyrus Todiwala, said: “Customers are increasingly attracted to restaurants that operate in a sustainable way. Winning the award is a real mark of excellence and pride, and proof that sustainability can go hand in hand with commercial success.”
- 1 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 2 Vigil for June Harvey one year on from Bow crane tragedy
- 3 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 4 Poplar MP acquitted of Tower Hamlets housing fraud
- 5 Mum plans to use Raine's Foundation site for new East Park church school
- 6 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
- 7 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 8 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 9 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 10 Unlocked rooms created 'radiation exposure risk' at hospital, inspectors report
In its ten year history, the Sustainable City Awards has seen a diverse winners ranging from eco-pubs to city companies.
Visit www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/sca to apply. The closing date is November14.