New scholarship removes barriers to university for disadvantaged pupils
- Credit: Here East,
A scholarship programme will support disadvantaged young people in Newham and Tower Hamlets through higher education courses at world-class universities.
Here East innovation and technology campus in Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park has launched the programme in partnership with two institutions based there: Staffordshire University London and Liverpool Media Academy (LMA).
The programme, which starts in September and will support three people to study at undergraduate level at Here East, is open to secondary school pupils living in one of the four boroughs surrounding Olympic Park.
Here East chief executive Gavin Poole said: “Many young people face barriers in attending university due to socio-economic circumstances in our surrounding areas and it is right that we work to remove these barriers to ensure students can live up to their full potential."
Scholarships will provide full undergraduate tuition, a maintenance loan supplement worth £2,700 a year, facilitation of relevant work experience placements within the Here East business network and mentoring opportunities.
You may also want to watch:
The programme is particularly aimed at students who are the first in their families to go to university, who face financial barriers in attending university, or are caregivers.
LMA co-founder Richard Wallace said: “We pride ourselves on having over 60per cent of LMA students being 'first in family to university' with an inclusive ethos that reflects the diversity of our local communities.
- 1 Stepney Green hero volunteering seven days a week since pandemic began
- 2 Arrests as police step up drugs raids
- 3 World Book Day: Notorious football fan 'Mr West Ham' sets record straight
- 4 Why Tower Hamlets should be a 'royal' borough after Covid
- 5 Jailed: East End county lines dealers who peddled heroin and crack cocaine
- 6 'War of words' at Tower Hamlets cabinet meeting stops library closures
- 7 Hunt for three men after 90-year-old's Bethnal Green home is burgled
- 8 Illegal rave raided by police at disused railway arch in Bow
- 9 Chinese embassy: Councillors raise concerns over plans
- 10 How many Covid-19 vaccinations have been given where you live?
“The Here East Scholarship further supports this ethos to allow talented young people the chance to realise their potential."
The participating institutions offer a range of undergraduate courses across multiple disciplines.
Staffordshire University London courses focus on future digital and technical innovations in computer sciences, cyber security, concept art for games and film, esports and games design.
LMA courses include digital film and TV production, music performance, acting, dance and musical theatre.
Staffordshire University London Digital Institute director Matt Brindley-Sadler said: “Our courses focus on future technologies and growth industries by providing routes for students to achieve their career goals.”