‘Hidden Heroes’ puts young film-makers in the Limelight at the Troxy
- Credit: Limelight
Young film-makers from London’s East End scooped the top prize at this year’s Limelight London film awards for best animated feature.
They picked up the ‘Oscas’-style accolade at Stepney’s Troxy venue.
Their animation Hidden Heroes about how letters were delivered to soldiers in the trenches of the First World War was created during sessions run by Tower Hamlets Council’s A-Team Arts, at Whitechapel’s Brady centre.
It won the Matthew Martino Benevolent Fund Rising Star award in partnership with Cutting East, the youth strand of the East End Film Festival.
Those involved in the movie-making also worked towards a national qualification, the Silver Arts award.
You may also want to watch:
Youngsters taking part in the council’s ‘House of Talent’ project were also involved in the production and were presented with their award by Tower Hamlets Mayor John Biggs.
“I am looking forward to seeing more of the artistic endeavours,” the Mayor said afterwards. “The young people created an interesting film which has been fittingly recognised.”
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 10 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
Hidden Heroes tells the little-known story of how letters from families in India were delivered to relatives serving on the Western Front in France in the 1914-18 War. The short film portrays its story through stop frame animation.