Hospice seeking volunteers
A hospice is looking for volunteers for a variety of roles from charity shop work and fund-raising to working directly with patients and their families.
Greenwich and Bexley Community Hospice on Bostall Hill, Abbey Wood, is urging residents of all ages to join its “friendly” team of 600 volunteers.
It costs more than �7 million a year to maintain the charity’s services, and with just one third of its funding coming from the NHS, the hospice says it relies on community support more than ever.
In the past year the hospice supported more than 2,500 residents with life-limiting illness, along with their families, friends and carers.
One volunteer, 67-year-old Charlie Cowcher, devotes four hours a day two days a week driving patients to and from the hospice.
You may also want to watch:
Charlie said: “For new patients I tell them all about the day centre to reassure them. When we get there I make sure they get settled and introduce them. I really enjoy this role, I like meeting new people and I have made some good friends.”
If interested in volunteering contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 020 8320 5812, or visit www.communityhospice.org.uk for more information.
- 1 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 2 Brigade issues fire safety warning after Limehouse studio blaze
- 3 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 4 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 5 Khalid Ali couldn't hide delight after winning start against Dean Wilkinson
- 6 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 7 Road and rail round-up: Steer clear of these disruptions next week
- 8 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
- 9 Three places to go pumpkin picking near east London
- 10 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station