Investigation called for into how Shamed Tower Hamlets councillor Shelina Akhtar was given social housing
Conservative leader for Tower Hamlets Peter Golds has called for an investigation into how disgraced councillor Shelina Akhtar was allocated social housing.
It comes after the independent Spitalfields and Banglatown councillor received a three-and-half months jail sentence for claiming benefits while living with her mother and subletting her Swan housing association flat.
Cllr Golds said: “How did a single woman with no housing need, after all she resided with her mother, jump our 23,000 person housing list?”
A council spokeswoman said they do not comment on individual cases while Swan Housing said they must complete their own investigation into the subletting before considering trying to evict her.
Cllr Akthar has until March 5 to appeal her conviction and it is understood she has not resigned from her position. If her position becomes vacant a by-election must be held within 35 days.
You may also want to watch:
Tower Hamlets Labour Leader Joshua Peck is hoping for the by-election to be held on May 3, to coincide with the London Mayoral election, which he says would be most cost-effective and lead to a bigger turn-out than on a separate day.
- 1 Man, 20, found fighting for life at illegal rave in Bow
- 2 Fire breaks out in flat near New Providence Wharf tower block
- 3 Leyton Orient confident next manager will take them to the next level
- 4 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 5 Battle lost to save historic Whitechapel bell foundry
- 6 Trains being tested on Crossrail's Elizabeth line up to four an hour
- 7 Dog festival gets go-ahead for Isle of Dogs, of all places
- 8 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 9 Pedestrian struck by motorcycle in critical condition following Stepney collision
- 10 South Africa and Indian Covid variants found in Shoreditch and Dalston