Investigation called for into how Shamed Tower Hamlets councillor Shelina Akhtar was given social housing
Conservative leader for Tower Hamlets Peter Golds has called for an investigation into how disgraced councillor Shelina Akhtar was allocated social housing.
It comes after the independent Spitalfields and Banglatown councillor received a three-and-half months jail sentence for claiming benefits while living with her mother and subletting her Swan housing association flat.
Cllr Golds said: “How did a single woman with no housing need, after all she resided with her mother, jump our 23,000 person housing list?”
A council spokeswoman said they do not comment on individual cases while Swan Housing said they must complete their own investigation into the subletting before considering trying to evict her.
Cllr Akthar has until March 5 to appeal her conviction and it is understood she has not resigned from her position. If her position becomes vacant a by-election must be held within 35 days.
You may also want to watch:
Tower Hamlets Labour Leader Joshua Peck is hoping for the by-election to be held on May 3, to coincide with the London Mayoral election, which he says would be most cost-effective and lead to a bigger turn-out than on a separate day.
- 1 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 2 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 3 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 4 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 5 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 6 Why TfL won't restart the night tube on Jubilee line just yet
- 7 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 8 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 9 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
- 10 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines