Investigation called for into how Shamed Tower Hamlets councillor Shelina Akhtar was given social housing
Conservative leader for Tower Hamlets Peter Golds has called for an investigation into how disgraced councillor Shelina Akhtar was allocated social housing.
It comes after the independent Spitalfields and Banglatown councillor received a three-and-half months jail sentence for claiming benefits while living with her mother and subletting her Swan housing association flat.
Cllr Golds said: “How did a single woman with no housing need, after all she resided with her mother, jump our 23,000 person housing list?”
A council spokeswoman said they do not comment on individual cases while Swan Housing said they must complete their own investigation into the subletting before considering trying to evict her.
Cllr Akthar has until March 5 to appeal her conviction and it is understood she has not resigned from her position. If her position becomes vacant a by-election must be held within 35 days.
You may also want to watch:
Tower Hamlets Labour Leader Joshua Peck is hoping for the by-election to be held on May 3, to coincide with the London Mayoral election, which he says would be most cost-effective and lead to a bigger turn-out than on a separate day.
- 1 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 2 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 8 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 9 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 10 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns