Isle of Dogs pupils at George Green’s Secondary get ‘Community Champion’ awards
- Credit: Geo Green's Sch
Two pupils and three teachers at a secondary school on the Isle of Dogs have received ‘Community Champions’ awards from east London transport bosses.
Sixth form student Mazharul Islam from George Green’s Secondary received an Outstanding Achiever award, while fellow-pupil Luke Boyle-Reader was made Young Carer of the Year.
The awards were presented at Canary Wharf’s Radisson Hotel, organised by British Transport Police, TfL, DLR and its franchise operators Keolis Amey.
Award sponsors went out to the five London boroughs linked by the DLR and received a flood of nominations.
The school’s PE teachers Mark Davies and Thomas Murphy shared the award for Teacher of the Year—judges thought they were such a great team that they couldn’t choose between them, so they were both named equally.
You may also want to watch:
Mark and Tom had many nominations from parents who attend the Saturday morning football sessions they hold who praised their work with the pupils.
Year 8’s learning manager Ryan West had a Highly Commended award for being a role model for pupils and “an excellent mentor”.
- 1 Jailed: Teenagers who left victim blind in one eye after train stabbing
- 2 Patient group set up over allegations of 'poor care' at Royal London
- 3 New street market coming to Docklands is Will's passion
- 4 Canary Wharf floats idea for new green restaurant on water
- 5 Brick Lane's famous bagel shop launches delivery service
- 6 Updated appeal for information about man last seen in Poplar in January
- 7 MPs pledge to fight on for 'forgotten victims' of IRA Canary Wharf bombing
- 8 Fire crews fight blaze at pub in Hackney Wick
- 9 Jailed: drug dealer who rammed police with stolen car to escape
- 10 Beer gardens reopening with face masks, sanitisers and cobblestones
Three young singers from the school also performed on stage at the awards as a trio, Jessica Poole, Naomi Ojomo and Jakira Kamally.
One of the parents in the school was also named Parent in a Million.